• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

"Free" Internet Phone Service

badhangover

I have zero affiliation with this service. I stumbled on it while Christmas internet shopping, and after judicious research, pulled the trigger. It's now in my home and I love it.

Ooma website

Ooma for sale on Amazon.

Amazon has it for $204 shipped now. It was $220 shipped when I bought it.

The skinny: It is a system you purchase which runs off of broadband cable or DSL internet to provide free domestic phone service (free once the system is purchased). I was paying $45 monthly for phone service. I installed Ooma, confirmed it provided crystal clear and problem free calling, and canceled that phone service. I figure my Ooma will pay for itself within 5 months and will be pure gravy afterwards. It won't work with satellite internet service.

Check out the Amazon reviews. As of this writing, it has 116 reviews which are for the most part 5 star ratings. If you have ever purchased through Amazon and skimmed their product reviews, you will know that such resoundingly high ratings on a large scale (more than just a few people) is exceptionally rare. Based on that, I sprung for it - and I'm glad I did.

I won't bore you with the how's and the why's of the system. You can read that in the provided links if you are so inclined. This is just a community service heads up for fellow value seekers. I can only state that I am utterly pleased with my purchase and use of it thus far.

p.s. There is a subscription "premier" Ooma service also available. It seemed overkill for my needs and I opted for the basic "free" version whch already provides all I need and more.

p.p.s. I will add, for those curious, many reviewers shared their experience with Ooma compared to all of the other internet phone systems and stated Ooma is vastly superior in their opinions. I do not have personal experience with other internet based phone systems.

Will it allow you to "port" your existing phone number?

Never mind, :laugh: it's one of the first questions they answer on their home page. The answer is "yes" if porting is available in your area (in my case it is).

Yeah, for a $40 fee. I was too cheap for even that. I've recently moved and took on a new number. It was too new for me to become attached to it. The $40 porting fee is waived if you sign up for their "premier" service which runs something like $100 a year. Again, the "premier" service seemed like overkill for my basic needs. Could be a great deal for small business owners or those with large families.

Yeah, for a $40 fee. I was too cheap for even that. I've recently moved and took on a new number. It was too new for me to become attached to it. The $40 porting fee is waived if you sign up for their "premier" service which runs something like $100 a year. Again, the "premier" service seemed like overkill for my basic needs. Could be a great deal for small business owners or those with large families.

Yep, I saw that. I still wouldn't mind paying that though. I've had my phone number for 32 years so I'm kinda attached to it. :laugh: When my mother passed away, I ported their old phone number to my cell phone which is cool. My parents had that phone number since 1953. :0

I agree with you that the "premier" service is overkill.

What if you have two phone lines? We have a home/small business number that we just hooked up and want to keep. I made special arrangements with the phone company (AT&T) to get that phone number so I want to keep that one too (455-0000).

I wonder if it can go bigger/more lines. I hate paying telephone companies.

Ery

What if you have two phone lines? We have a home/small business number that we just hooked up and want to keep. I made special arrangements with the phone company (AT&T) to get that phone number so I want to keep that one too (455-0000).
It appears doable, but at the "premier" service level. $100 a year. The second line should be "free" with the premier level, and can go up to 9 lines it seems. Comes with some nifty other features too. Features I wouldn't mind having for free, but just wouldn't get used enough by me to justify going beyond my basic needs.

I see someone mentioned "Skype". Again, I have zero personal experience with any other internet based phone systems. I recall from my research of user reviews that Ooma was far preferred to Skype for home use.

edit to add: I think I recall there being additional fees for adding more than two lines, even at the "premier" level. It wasn't in my needs, so I skimmed past that information.

I already have Skype. I wonder if there is any middle ground for a small business between a DSL/landline combo and pure T1 or bigger service. I don't even know what it would be I guess... oh well.

I already have Skype. I wonder if there is any middle ground for a small business between a DSL/landline combo and pure T1 or bigger service. I don't even know what it would be I guess... oh well.
Again, beyond my needs and I only quickly skimmed through it, but it seemed that the Ooma premier package looked to be a good fit for your stated needs. Worth a look, perhaps.

FYI on Ooma.

I've had it since 2009 and it's been great.
Not the 'Premier' package...as I don't need the extra items.

As of now, Ooma will not be updating anything software/hardware wise for it's first generation package.
Instead they are going with a new one - the Ooma Telo.

While it's nice...mines still works and I don't pay any fees.

With the NEW 'Telo' will have State and 911 fees with it.

Mine would be around $3.15 per MONTH!

So much for free!

grateful1 said:
FYI on Ooma. I've had it since 2009 and it's been great. Not the 'Premier' package...as I don't need the extra items. As of now, Ooma will not be updating anything software/hardware wise for it's first generation package. Instead they are going with a new one - the Ooma Telo. While it's nice...mines still works and I don't pay any fees. With the NEW 'Telo' will have State and 911 fees with it. Mine would be around $3.15 per MONTH! So much for free!

So you are saying if I get the "old" system like you have it would still be free?

K. So I will have a $4 monthly bill no matter what hardware I have.

Depends on what your taxes and 911 fee are in your state.

But yes....something inexpensive.

I use my cable line to connect at home....OR...I can login and check the VM online.

I checked their site and found it would be $3.75/month for service. I originally though it was for the new "Telo" system. That's why I asked, if I could do get free with the of hardware I was going to get it off eBay.

You only need to buy minutes if you make international calls.