• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Freezing traded or giftes smokes

geldor1

Can't Re- Member
Could't find anything on this doing a search of the forums.

I know, I know... freezing vs not freezing, that is a question which has been discussed over and over. blah, blah, yeah, yeah....

I just haven't seen any discussion about traded or gifted smokes.

I freeze all cigars that are vendor ordered and shipped to me. It's a precaution that I take as I don't what to chance the 'B' word. I know there are NO garantees.

I have recently traded and soon to be passed some smokes.

Do you just take it that the sender does the same, or do you freeze everything that comes in.

There is no way that I can smoke all the new sticks in a reasonable timeframe and just want to take the same precautions as all the other cigars that come in.

Is this over kill? (yes a play on words, maybe not the greatest :p )

How would you feel if you got some traded sticks, put them in your humi and then found an outbreak?

How would you feel if you traded and someone told you they found an outbreak from your stuff?

Thanks.

If you get it in a pass and you're at/near the beginning, as long as you trust the people that were before you, you're probably okay not freezing. After a month or more on the road, I'd freeze them.

If you are getting sticks from someone you trust, I wouldn't worry about it. If the sticks are from someone you aren't sure about/don't know, then freeze them.

It can't really hurt anything if done right, so you should be okay.

Whew, that is a tough question. If u are a fan of fteezing then I would freeze ALL my smokes. I personally don't like to freeze as I think it takes away from the smoking pleasure in the end (Just My Opinion). If U were to get a package in and THEN have an outbreak..........I dunno what I would think. If the gars showed signs of "b" damage prior to U receving them then I would be pissed at who sent them. But if U recieved great looking gars and then put them in YOUR humi and the temperature was too high and then U hatched them (we all know LOTS of smokes have a few eggs in there) I don't see how U could be mad at anyone but yourself.

I would freeze them bro, just to be safe.

Just my .02 as someone who has traded w/you!

Phil

It doesn't matter if you "trust" the person you've received cigars from...... beetles eggs are present in more cigars than most people realize. The key is keeping the eggs from hatching. Freezing cigars will kill the adult beetles but most likely will not destroy the eggs. I've read you need -10 to -20 F to explode the eggs and household freezers will not obtain that temperture.

I like to freeze all cigars when received (why chance it) to kill any possible adults and then keep the humidor under 70 degree's to prevent the hatching of any eggs.