• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Friday Night Lights

texasaggie

Need a drink...
Saw this movie last friday night, true story. Although I haven't read the book, I know most of the story. This is a movie that really shows alot about what Texas high school football is about. 20,000+ screaming fans, whole towns closed down to make the games. chartered planes to take teams to road games, and more equipment than some colleges use, not to mention more recruiting and better facilities. Make no mistake that type of football still remains, here unlike anywhere else in the world, and I'm proud of that.

Oh yeah, and the Aggies are ranked 23!! :D :D

Saw the movie Sunday myself but was not overly impressed. Prob as much because I knew the story. The movie just seemed to get too slow and drag along in places. Not a bad movie.... worth the matinee price. ;)

I will agree that highschool football is bigger than religion in these parts. I'm still a season ticket holder to the local HS and my kids have been out for many years.

We are taking the whole team to see the movie Thursday. It's been all I can do to hold off seeng it before then. Should be a good one.

HS football is huge. HS football in Texas is huger than huge :p

Looking forward to it.

M. Gipson

Haven't seen it yet, but I can tell you that those lights in the movie, don't really come on that fast in real life. ;)

Matt R said:
Haven't seen it yet, but I can tell you that those lights in the movie, don't really come on that fast in real life. ;)
I can attest to that!

texasaggie said:
Well, being from Nebraska, I don't want to talk about Texas football, especially since Texas Tech took out my huskers 70-10. :( What's next? Lose by 80 to Baylor?? :( b We have an A.D. that needs a job in Austin!

Haven't seen the movie yet, but as a football player growing up in Texas, I HAD to read the book. It was the bible for Texas football players...

ALostTexan

When I read it I got more of a "see how extreme football culture can be" out of it.

Wierd that most people took it the other way as did the movie. I guess I read it wrong.

LostTexan, I an Ohio-an Lost in Texas :D. I am OSU '96 alumni. It seems like we might need to keep a low profile this year after that Northwestern thing. ??? :angry: :sneaky:

Matt

SFG75 said:
texasaggie said:
Well, being from Nebraska, I don't want to talk about Texas football, especially since Texas Tech took out my huskers 70-10. :( What's next? Lose by 80 to Baylor?? :( b We have an A.D. that needs a job in Austin!
I can't ever remember Nebraska getting beat that bad. I guess paybacks are hell....cause Nebraska never ran the score up on anybody!!!! :sign:

surferonthecrystalcoast said:
I can't ever remember Nebraska getting beat that bad. I guess paybacks are hell....cause Nebraska never ran the score up on anybody!!!! :sign:
Yep surfer, we got an A.D. from Pittsburgh and he didn't like the coach that we had pure and simple. He wanted to institute the west coast offense and thought that running was a thing of the past-though that is exactly what Oklahoma is relying upon more and more! So we junked hte running game and don't have the thoroughbreds for the west coast offense. We use to only lose to rated teams, now with this "accept no mediocrity" guy-we are losing to unranked teams and teams that just aren't that good.

I didn't watch the game, just saw the score. I thought I read in the sports section that the Nebraska quarterback had like four or five interceptions.....which I thought was weird because the Huskers never throw the ball. As the saying goes "If it ain't broke then don't try to fix it!"

txmatt said:
When I read it I got more of a "see how extreme football culture can be" out of it.

Wierd that most people took it the other way as did the movie. I guess I read it wrong.

LostTexan, I an Ohio-an Lost in Texas :D. I am OSU '96 alumni. It seems like we might need to keep a low profile this year after that Northwestern thing. ??? :angry: :sneaky:

Matt
I didn't read the book, but I knew the story and know all about the extreme football here, I'm proud of it and hope everyone that sees the movie get's that. It's extreme here and we love it. Hell, even in Houston, as a freshman, I could go to Pizzatola's BBQ or Otto's and get free food and beer just for playing at my school, right down the street, and it was a private school. I love that some high school stadiums here are louder than most college stadiums.

Oh yeah, Go Stros, 12-3 OUCH!!! :sign: :sign: