• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fridgador Question

Big B

Hello all,
I was curious, does everyone who uses a fridgador or coolidor live in areas with really warm climates or do you like to keep your cigars at a cooler temp than the average temp in a house. Theres a lot of people who are using these it seems like and im looking at buying a bigger humidor but thought I might look into a wine cooler or something in that nature. Our house is usually set at around 65-70 degrees in the summer. Is there any benefit to keeping my smokes cooler than that in a fridgador?

I envy you being able to keep your house that cool through the summer. That would cost me hundreds of dollars a month in electricity.

The only advantage I can see is that you might be able to hold a more consistent temperature. 65-70 is about where you want to store your smokes.

I have mine because my house does not have AC. I live by the beach but it still gets hot as hell somtimes here in Sunny California.

I was lucky enough to have a big hand in the building of my house and when it came to insulating it I went overboard.
I envy anyone living on the beach though, such a beautiful landscape. I guess I probably wouldnt need a fridgador but for a humidor that can house the same number of smokes its probably just as cheap.

As long as the temperature isn't steadily in the high 70s to low 80s, I think you're fine without a fridgador. I've managed to survive on a tupperdor and a large desktop humidor, but the temperature on the West Coast usually doesn't get high enough for me to be concerned with beetles.

Hello all,
I was curious, does everyone who uses a fridgador or coolidor live in areas with really warm climates or do you like to keep your cigars at a cooler temp than the average temp in a house. Theres a lot of people who are using these it seems like and im looking at buying a bigger humidor but thought I might look into a wine cooler or something in that nature. Our house is usually set at around 65-70 degrees in the summer. Is there any benefit to keeping my smokes cooler than that in a fridgador?

I was told go bigger, and they were right. I was looking into frigador but decided on going with the cooler route. 1. it's cheaper 2. it's easy maintenance 3. a lot of storage space.

As far as keeping your smokes cooler than the frigador? It's all about your preference. You're not harming your smokes by keeping them cooler so I guess that's a benefit isn't it? lol

I actually misread your question. Yes, my home is running a constant 70-72 but I keep my smokes at a cooler temp. All personal preference.

I've got two 28 ct wineadors because I got 'em at $70 ea with free shippin'! :D

I've got two 28 ct wineadors because I got 'em at $70 ea with free shippin'! :D

Nice pickup and here i thought i got a deal on my 21 count Vinotemp that i picked up for 65. Would much rather have your 28 =P

I got a 28 count Vino because it was on clearance at Target last Oct for $99. My wife spotted it for me. :love:

I put some beads in there and it has worked flawlessly. My basement is really cold all by itself. This past winter it was in the low 50's even upper 40's during some cold stretches. Right now it's been right around 60 degrees.

You don't need to plug in the vino unless you want to move some air around or use the light. I'll be curious to see if I ever need the cooling ability this summer. Depends how hot we get up here in the "frozen tundra."

So no, I don't live in a really warm climate area but I've been really happy with my vino. Makes keeping cigars a breeze. Perfect 65% RH due to heartfelt beads.

I'm sure a cooler would work in my area as well. I just dig the look of the vino and shelves by MTMouse. It's a pretty cool layout. Should be big enough for me for awhile.

Bill

The guys are right that keeping cigars cooler will affect the aging process as far as slowing it down...but it doesn't harm them. The real problem is if you keep them REALLY cool and then bring them straight out into a significantly higher temp without letting them warm up so to speak...a friend of mine here in VA did that last year and his 4 Padron Anniversaries split wide open because they hit the 90+ deg heat and 80+%high humidity after being stored at around 55 deg and 68% humidity....expensive lesson....

The guys are right that keeping cigars cooler will affect the aging process as far as slowing it down...but it doesn't harm them. The real problem is if you keep them REALLY cool and then bring them straight out into a significantly higher temp without letting them warm up so to speak...a friend of mine here in VA did that last year and his 4 Padron Anniversaries split wide open because they hit the 90+ deg heat and 80+%high humidity after being stored at around 55 deg and 68% humidity....expensive lesson....

Ouch. I'll remember this when I install my temperature controller.

Thanks for all the help guys, I may just start out with a cooler due to costs. I would rather due that and have some money for a few smokes rather than a nice fridge with no sticks.

I would go with the cooler option. It is a great / cheap way to store a ton of smokes. I have a 100qt Coleman in my basement that I love and the temperature has been staying in the 63-67* range. I have yet to have it for a summer but the basement usually is much cooler than the other parts of the house.

Here is a link to the Coolerdor 101 that is a great resource.

Coolerdor 101

I have 2 lbs of 70% beads, 2 oust fans and a bunch of salt tested hygro's in there. I am able to watch the humidity and temp via a wireless weather station at the top of the steps. So far so good with it.

You are going to want to keep the cooler as full as possible to keep the humidity level and I do not yet have enough to totally fill it. I have placed my two full humi's in there along with full boxes I have purchased as well as empty boxes I picked up from my local B&M. Like I said so far so good.

EDIT for spelling.