• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fridge-A-Dor Cooling question...

slevy007

The Broke Smoker & 2006 Ash Standing Champion!
Hey everybody... Im finally back home after a whole 4 years away at school....

So here is my situation... I have been rocking cooler-dors for some years now, and have always been able to put my coolers in my cooler basement, freeing me of a lot of too hot/too humid worries. But now I am home, and I dont really have a basement that is stable with either humidity OR temperature. So I have decided I might have to make some temperature controlled cigar rig action happen :laugh:
So in my basement here, I have an older, but still perfectly working upright freezer. It hasnt been really used in ages, and I have decided to try and "re-purpose" it. SO, my first concern is how to regulate the temperature, because I obviously can accidentally freeze all my sticks in the blink of an eye. Now I know one option is that Johnson Thermo regulator apparatus that I have seen used to some extent. I have heard whispers of different, but similiar options out there... options that look, and possibly work somewhat neater than the Johnson setup. So is anyone familiar with other systems that will provide a stable, effective solution to my problem? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!! I have resorted to under-humidifying my sticks, as temps can climb... and I am praying to avoid finding unwelcome "visitors" feasting on the leaves of my collection! :0
Also, any tips on making a freezer setup work as cooled humidor solution would be HIGHLY welcomed!

Thanks in advance!
Steve

I can't see how using the freezer would work out considering how much humidity you would lose in the cooling process. Your best bet is to get a wine-fridge that doesn't use a compression cooler.

This is the Johnson controller I use for my kegerator, and so far I have had no complaints about it. Set and forget. My neighbor uses the same unit, and has done so for some time if I remember correctly, and also has no complaints.

I can't see how using the freezer would work out considering how much humidity you would lose in the cooling process. Your best bet is to get a wine-fridge that doesn't use a compression cooler.

Do all wine fridges use a compression cooler, other than thermoelectric types.. just like regular refridgerators?
I mean, I would imagine that keeping it cool "enough" would only take the compressor going on a few times a day at most.. but i dont know

Steve

Joe is right, but for overriding temperature controllers, look up Love.

Ill check it out

Steve

You can use frozen bottles of water inside your coolers in a pinch until you get a permanent solution sorted out. I had to resort to this in the past before purchasing a wine fridge. The temps may swing around some, but I suspect it's better than letting the entire cooler get hot. Just be sure to place whatever you're using as the cooling device in a place that won't make a mess with the substantial condensation that will occur. Wrapping with paper towels is probably a good idea.