• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fridge-A-Dor

toliver

As I said in an earlier thread...."you guys have created a monster"

My 100 stick desk top humidor is now full after on month. I now have to look to other means of storage.

I have an Igloo Harbor Docks small fridge that was given to me. As warm as I can get it is about 58 degrees. The RH with nothing in it is 85%, but I can deal with that, I think with beads and cedar.

I have a couple of questions....

1.) Is 58 degrees too cold for long term storange of cigars?
2.) Will I be able to regulate the RH with beads and Cedar while the frige is on? (doesnt a fridge draw humidity out of the air?)
3.) Is the cedar you can buy at Home Depot spanish cedar? Does it matter?

Thanks for your input!!

TOliver

Just use old cigar boxes for the cedar. I don't think I would turn the fridge on. And I love beads, they will do the trick.

No the cedar you can buy at Home Depot is not the same. That cedar is aromatic cedar and will add an undesirable taste to your cigars. There are a number of spanish cedar sources on the internet just look around.

...saw this in another thread and thought it was pretty cool.

Use this analog unit to control the temperature of a refrigerator, freezer, or air conditioner. It enables you to ferment and store beer at correct temperatures when the ambient room temperature is too warm. Your electrical cooling device plugs into this unit which plugs into the outlet. A remote sensor connected by a small capillary tube monitors temperatures. If the temperature rises above your set point, the cooling device is turned on. The unit features a 4 degree swing to help extend the life of the cooling unit's compressor. For example, if you had it set at 68 degrees, it would turn on at 68 degrees and go to 64 degrees before turning off. The unit has the potential to regulate temperature from 20 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. The sensor tube can be inserted into a refrigerator or freezer, and still allows the door gasket to seal tight. Temperature Range of 20 to 80F. It will handle 15 amps or 1725 watts at 115 volts AC.

This secondary thermostat lets you use the refrigeration system but keeps the temp around 70F.....:cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

What temperature does it stay at without any power?

1. Some people say that bellow 60 degrees slows the aging process down. Its all up to you though on what temperature to keep it at. Personally i have mine at 68 degrees. :cool:

2. You are correct a standard fridge draws out the humidity. (Hence the question above) If it will stay around 70 by itself you shouldn't worry about plugging it in. With beads and cedar you should be able to keep the RH somewhat consistent, just be prepared for swings when the compressor turns on and when it shuts off.

3. Already answered by Viper

The second thermostat will help in getting your fridge-a-dor to whatever temperature you desire, but it will have a minimal impact on the RH swings though. ;)

Reducing the duration of swing in RH is what you're after. If you use the analog temperture controller to regulate the temp in a tight +/- 3 degrees this will keep the compressor from having to run for a long period of time. The RH is quickly returned to normal shortly after the compressor kicks off.

Regardless if you use a temperture controller or not keep all of your cigars inside of the boxes. It will reduce any swing in RH to practically nothing.

I have a Fridge-A-Dor and use the same temperature controller that BBB shows.
After months of trying different combinations I found this way to be the best - I have the remote sensor bulb of the controller resting on top of the freezer shelf. These small refrigerators use the freezer to cool the whole unit. When the temperature raises, the controller turns on the fridge, but turns it off rather quickly. The temperature remains very stable, within a few degrees and the moisture also only changes slightly. It takes a while for the temperature to build up to 70 degrees or so, but remains constant. During the initial setup, I set the controller a lot cooler until it reached around 70. I use one of those remote temp/humidity sensors from Atlantic Scientific to monitor everything.
In the summer the humidity is higher. When I notice if reaching 72% or so, I leave the door open for about 1/2 hour to correct it. So far I have only needed to do that twice. In the winter, I put a large piece of foam in, sometimes for up to a 5 days to raise the humidity. The unit doesn't turn on in the winter. The fridge maintains the humidity very well. 1 important note, I have a small fan running constantly. It is about 1 1/2" x 1 1/2”. This keeps everything constant. I notice if I turn off the fan, the temperature raises, and the humidity is much lower on the bottom.
I hope this helps you decide. This is what works for me.

-Brian

Very interesting info. I actually have been thinking of buying a "scratch and dent" stand up freezer to use as a humidor. I'd really like to get rid of all the coolerdors in my guest bathroom shower. With this temp controller thing it looks like I will be able to keep this freezerdor out in the garage. Now just gotta clean up a spot in the garage to put it. :laugh:

Brian,

What kind of fan did you use on the fridge? I would like to use a fan like you suggested. Where can I buy a small one like the one you use? How is the fan powered? If electric, how did you manage the fan's power cord. Would really appreciate more info.

Thanks,
Dick

Fridges work great, but look like crap. I at first considered one, but the only place I have to put my gars is in the living room and the old lady didn't like a fridge one bit. I found a beverage cooler that didn't have the cooling unit. They range in size and and have a great seal. You have to seal up some vents, and change the soda logos on the side, but other than that it's a lot better than a fridge. Or if you don't mind spending $400 you can get a wine cooler and take it up a notch.

2318600-083105.jpg