• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Friggin' interns

mysterea

I mean, why pay 'em more if they're just gonna screw up and lose 7.3% of all SSN's in Ohio, right?

http://it.slashdot.org/it/07/07/27/1222215.shtml

I only post this 'cause we've got alot of Ohio-ans around, and this could wind up screwing with thier credit. My dad just got whacked and would up having to jump through quite a few hoops in order to get things straight.

'The extent of my instructions on what to do after I removed the tapes from the tape drive and took the tapes out of the building was, bring these back tomorrow.'

well wtf were they thinking. Why is it necessary for these folks to have this stuff at home in the first place?

I'm an intern.
I make 11.50 an hour
I take 30 - 50 calls in 8 hours from people who cannot work their computer, cannot remember their passwords, and sometimes, from people whose entire office network has crashed.

It is my resonsibility to:
help these company employees with computer issues (even to setting up home routers)
reset their passwords
adhere to sarbanes oxley requirements
troubleshoot network issues thousands of miles away.

for this I receive 11.50 an hour, no benefits, and no holiday pay.

so, 5 interns and 12 full timers, support 60,000 employees in the US, Canada, and Mexico, and occasionally Europe and Asia/Pacific (when their own support centers are closed, overflowing)

As a support center, we can take anywhere from 400 - 1200 calls in a day.. lately around 6 or 700.

so, remember next time your company's application fails.. you may have to call tech support, and you may have to talk to an intern.. and he or she will probably know more than you on the subject, so you best not give them lip.

I'm an intern.
I make 11.50 an hour
I take 30 - 50 calls in 8 hours from people who cannot work their computer, cannot remember their passwords, and sometimes, from people whose entire office network has crashed.

help these company employees with computer issues (even to setting up home routers)
reset their passwords

so, 5 interns and 12 full timers, support 60,000 employees in the US, Canada, and Mexico, and occasionally Europe and Asia/Pacific (when their own support centers are closed, overflowing)

As a support center, we can take anywhere from 400 - 1200 calls in a day.. lately around 6 or 700.

so, remember next time your company's application fails.. you may have to call tech support, and you may have to talk to an intern.. and he or she will probably know more than you on the subject, so you best not give them lip.

Ummmm...are you working NOW?

Give them lip? Why would i bother.. They would have to speak English first.

I'm going to have to go ahead and agree with you on this one bro, the call center is a tough environment.

I'll also mention that the skills you gain in that call center apply to all walks of life, and will ensure you a 'fallback' career in support no matter what you choose. I'm the product of 5 years of running / schlepping at an outsource call center in boston, and I'll tell ya, the skills I learned there have been gold at every career since.

That being said, I cursed every day at that goddamn place. You will too.

Oh, and Gary's right, it's proven that you didn't work from 2:49 to 2:52 today, ya freakin' intern slacker! See? You shouldn't be paid a penny over 11$/hr!

~R

I worked the Call Center for Cabela's during the X-mas season. I averaged 200 to 300 orders in 8 hours and we had an average 50 to 75 people that could take orders 24/7 from Thanksgiving to X-mas. We made a whole whopping $7.25 an hour. :laugh:

I'm an intern.
I make 11.50 an hour

reset their passwords

If your diggin for sympathy.... might want to find another hole.

I'm an intern.
I make 11.50 an hour

reset their passwords

If your diggin for sympathy.... might want to find another hole.
:laugh: :laugh:

support center located in america, took today off to come home to see the fam, no need for sympathy, i dont care. we only take calls from in company employees.

and yes, great fall back job, but i do work weekends, every third weekend, and i do work holiday pay, for nothing extra

again.. no sympathy, just saying, dont lump all us interns together.

I'm an intern and make as much as a full timer.... But I also don't take lip from anyone and spend most of my time hitting on other interns... :) I love my job.

girl%20(23).gif

I'm an intern.
I make 11.50 an hour

reset their passwords

Ummmm...are you working NOW?

ROFL!!!!

edit to add: I see interns at my office to largely be a waste of air. My area is highly technical, so interns are rare. Other managers - perhaps those who got a semester long free ride at some Fortune 500 company, hire them to do useless, repetitive tasks. Occasionally, one will happen into my area and ask a question. Those are the ones I ask their grad date, then write their names down.

Give them lip? Why would i bother.. They would have to speak English first.

My thoughts exactly.

D