• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

From the Box to the Tray?

Jimmy Jammer

My first Lounge post :cool: .

When you buy by the box, when do you take the sticks from the box and put 'em in the loose tray? Feel free to include three, five, and ten packs or anything else too?

I know one guy (yeah I only know one guy :laugh: ) that will buy a box and immediately remove them from the box and put 'em in the tray.

Me, right now I'm short on space, so when a new box comes in, an old box (or two) needs to go out. I'm real close to ordering a much bigger (50-60 box) humidor. With more space, I plan to be keeping 'em in the box until there is less than three left. That is until I run out of space again.:thumbs:

The same strategy with cartons, with enough space I'll wait for a three-pack until there is one, with a fiver until there are two. A ten-pack the same as a 25 or 50.

I do the same with wine, I'll keep the OWC until I need the space (sometimes I'll even keep the empty OWC in the garage, but that's another post)..

I love looking at my boxes. Do you ever just oggle (stare at and/or play with) your collection and think how lucky you are? I do...

Cheers! --Jimmy

I use a cooler, so I just leave them all in the boxes.

edit: When I first started getting a big collection I would go through it constantly and look things over. Haven't done that so much in the last year or so.

I've only done this once, and that was with my LFD Salomon box.

The thing wouldn't fit in the cooler, so I was forced to put them in a tray.

LFD_Salomon.jpg

I'll place the box in my cooler unless it doesn't fit. Since my cooler isn't too large, not much fits. I have my Bolivar boxes in there and that's it.

What you need is a nice 110qt cooler. You can find them this time of year at Wal-Mart or similar store. That will solve a good deal of your problem right there.

I use a small wine cooler for storage, and pretty much only had singles before using this. When I upgraded, I picked up 2 or 3 empty boxes from my B&M to store them. works well as long as you can find boxes large enough to hold the size of sticks you smoke.
Whatever method of storage makes you happiest will work. If you want everything out and easy to access, go with a tray.

...but, when you move them from the box to the tray, do you leave the cello on, or remove it? What if it has cedar tubes as well..?

Do you remove the cello and leave the cedar, or do you remove the cello and the cedar, then replace the cello, or put the cigar in bare...??

...but, when you move them from the box to the tray, do you leave the cello on, or remove it? What if it has cedar tubes as well..?

Do you remove the cello and leave the cedar, or do you remove the cello and the cedar, then replace the cello, or put the cigar in bare...??
:laugh:

That's one man's opinion in the form of a question. ;)

LEARN TO SEARCH! (One word, most unique, in that forum)

I didn't even need to search, BTW, to find this sticky in "The Humidor" forum: Coolerdor - 101 Read through those posts. Many things apply equally to any larger storage device. (Edit to add)

Many cigar preferences are personal but this one is not. Get a big coolerdor and leave what you don't plan on smoking soon nestled safely in their boxes. Keep empty boxes for single, fivers, etc. You want to limit air exchange and keeping them in their boxes helps.

I leave every thing in their box until I need room; then I consolidate to the draws to make room for new boxes. It's a viciouse circle!
Tom

I leave every thing in their box until I need room; then I consolidate to the draws to make room for new boxes. It's a viciouse circle!
Tom

Yeah, it's a vicious cycle, but I love it! :love:

I think I'll never have enough space. First, I'll get an Aristocrat M-THC and when that's filled I get a cooler. :cool: I could double my stash and still fit in the Aristocrat so I'll have plenty of time to build out the cooler.

emoshun, I love the presentation of the Salomon box. I think I would have bought a bigger cooler and keep them in that beautiful box.;)

Thanks, --Jimmy

I find my cigars hold their aroma better when kept in cabs with the wax paper around them. Just my preference.