• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

From the sick and twisted mind of AVB

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Or

When leftovers rule the world!

Trying to clean out some leftovers to make room for more cookout food this weekend.  I had about a cup and a half of pulled pork, a few leaves of lettuce and about 2 tablespoons of blue cheese so what better way to finish them off but to eat them all at once.  I already eat my pulled pork with coleslaw on it so I didn't think using lettuce instead would be that different but blue cheese? 

I cut a Kaiser roll in half, made a bed of lettuce, heated up the pork in the microwave, dumped it on the lettuce, added my vinegar based hot sauce and then sprinkled the blue cheese on top.  

I wish I could say it was outstanding but...it was only pretty good.  If I have the stuff laying around I'll make it again but I won't go out of my way to do it.

That is the real eastern North Carolina way. I think it is just about the best way to eat pulled pork.

Omit the lettuce & blue cheese, then switch out the vinegar for mustard based & you've got the way we SC folks like our Q!

Otherwise, it sounds good!

I recently had a pulled pork with coleslaw for the first time. It was really pretty good. I think the slaw was Emeril Lagasse's recipe.

My friend makes some sort of white or sort of clear BBQ sauce. It's pretty delicious, but he is taking that recipe to his grave. Anybody ever hear of that type of BBQ Sauce?

White sauce is a vinegar based sauce although it really isn't white.  Now if you really mean the sauce was white or clear I've never seen that.

That might be interior but Scotts is some of the best BBQ I've had and pretty much what I try to make mine like....and they do a vinegar sauce.  So if you ever get near the coast, stop by for lunch it is well worth it.

theronray said:
Omit the lettuce & blue cheese, then switch out the vinegar for mustard based & you've got the way we SC folks like our Q!

Otherwise, it sounds good!

AVB said:

That might be interior but Scotts is some of the best BBQ I've had and pretty much what I try to make mine like....and they do a vinegar sauce.  So if you ever get near the coast, stop by for lunch it is well worth it.

It is more of the inland/western side that does the mustard based sauce.

I'll be down that way in late July.  I'll gladly go 30 min out of the way to get some good BBQ!  Thanks for the heads up on the place.

Homemade coleslaw on pulled pork is incredibly good, I didn't know it was a NC thing. I do a version of pulled pork where I lightly sauce the pork with some heated BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Rays) with a little pineapple juice and diced pineapple and then top that with the coleslaw on a fresh, soft potato roll. That combination of sweetness from the pineapple and tartness of the apple cider vinegar in the slaw sauce really works well. 

The Winter fix for this combo is going to a nice Jewish deli and getting their 'in-house-cooked' hot pastrami sandwich with coleslaw on it...

homer_drool_zps0c5a4ea8.jpg

Ray, Yes, it was clear, and I think he called it White. I did a search on "clear", but now will try "white". Thanks.

Clear is my favorite color, btw... :whistling:

White BBQ sauce...found via Google Fu. All similar with just a few subtle differences.

Version 1

1 quart mayonnaise
3/4 quart apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/4 tablespoon cayenne pepper
Prepared horseradish
Lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Version 2
  • 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tablespoon coarse ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons horseradish
Version 3
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Version 4

• 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
Mix ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 8 hours before using. Brush lightly over chicken, turkey or pork during the last few minutes of grilling. This barbecue sauce is also great as a dipping sauce so set some aside before you start grilling to serve on the table.

...and this one with pictures

LINK

I actually can't stand coleslaw but my wife makes her own which is actually pretty darn good.  Its more of a fresh salad than the goopy mess you find in most places.  When I smoke pork butt I always end up grabbing a hefty scoop of that and eating it side by side with the pulled pork and a bit of bbq sauce.  I omit the roll cause to me that just takes up more room which could be taken up by meat.

I think white sauce is an Alabama thing, most well known at Big Bob Gibsons BBQ.

We (my family) eat cole slaw and pulled pork together all the time.  Can't believe nobody has mentioned red slaw yet, it's a staple here too.  Pretty much anybody that makes decent Q here makes red slaw too.  I like the vinegar sauce that's really common around here, but i like it better when a little more cayenne, and some honey is added to it, to give it that sweet/hot in addition to the vinegar bite.