• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fuente Anejo #46 (2007)

CurtisEss

Reaction score
Despite the fact that it was snowing today, I decided to smoke a cigar out in the elements.  For whatever reason, all the really great cigars I've smoked this year I smoked outside when the weather was less than conducive to smoking outside.  This one did not break that trend.

This cigar has sat in a desktop humidor for the past 6 years at 70% RH and whatever temp my apartment has been at.  During this time, I took off the cedar sleeve that the cigar comes in.  The wrapper is, for lack of a better word, aggressive.  It is a maduro Connecticut broadleaf that is approaching black and a texture that is pretty much the opposite of the silky, oily leaf that a lot of standard production Cubans are rolled in.  If you were to try to judge a cigar by its wrapper, I think this one would leave you confused.

gallery_15531_7_10881.jpg

I punched the cap and lit the cigar with my trusty bic lighter.  It was very solid in the hand, but had a perfect amount of resistance on the draw.  The cigar delivers from the very beginning a very refined mixture of cream and subtle leather earthy notes. At this point it is medium bodied, with a clean finish. Intermittent aromatic/floral notes through the nose crop up throughout the cigar.  Very well integrated with considerable refinement but with lots of nicotine on the inhale -  I had to lean against the wall for a minute. This character remains fairly constant through the first third of the cigar, and the second third begins to subtlely introduce notes of coffee and chocolate. The last third is where the cigar really takes off. It becomes complex in a way that makes you look for it - none of the flavors stick out from the very balanced profile.  A slight pepperiness kicks in which combines beautifully with the subtle aromatic notes through the nose, while the body gradually fades in the flavors of coffee and dark chocolate, along with the leather and earthy notes which have risen in intensity to balance these. The finish at this point has become very lasting coffee and earth. The cigar has kept its creaminess the whole time, and the body is still a solid medium but definitely full flavored. At the very end, the peppery notes remain through the finish, and the cigar has pulled out all the stops.  It is medium-full at this point.  Amazing last third.  This isn't one of those situations where the cigar is weak until the very end.  The first two thirds prepare you for the last one.  Imagine an orchestra where a few instruments are playing in the beginning and others begin playing the playing the same tune as the whole crescendos to the end of the song.  Even after putting it out, an earthy dark chocolate finish remains.  I will never smoke a young anejo again.  If you wanted a number, I would say 96.

The corona gorda doesn't generally seem to be the vitola you look towards when you're looking for an excellent cigar, but this one has more than risen to the occasion.  For ~$10 a stick, I really should have bought more of these 6 years ago.  Fortunately, I've learned from that, so now there is no shortage of these in my humidor.

gallery_15531_7_14949.jpg

While I was smoking this, I remembered a bit of high school health class...

Concerned girl: My grandpa chews on cigars, is that bad for him?

Teacher: Well, not only is your gradfather a bad person, he probably won't make it through this year.

At least that's how I remember it...