• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fuente Fuente Opus X The Rising X

CalixEros

Big Building Builder
I posted this review over on CF and thought you guys might like it too.

After inspecting one of the Fuente Fuente Opus X The Rising X’s I got at the CFC a little more closely, I noticed it had more wrapper damage than originally thought from the long trip home. I immediately called Gretchen and told her it was her cigar that got damaged, not mine, and I would dispose of it for her. The X looked more like a checkmark and the wrapper had chaffed and opened up a little around the foot, but nothing that should affect its smokability. I decided to light it up at the Baltimore mini-herf on Sunday. I took one long last look at thiswork of art before clipping the top and setting it aside to place back in the humidor (for sentimental reasons, of course).

I lit the cigar, puffing gently in anticipation of the spicy explosion I expect from fresh Opus. This flavor, surprisingly, would never come. I was in shock after the first few puffs since the smoke seemed to have almost no taste at all. Luckily, it strengthened slightly and I recognized the flavor after a few more puffs. It tasted like an aged Opus, only milder. I’ve only had two well-aged Opus (both from ’95), and they both had a great taste that was significantly different from a fresh one. The main difference between this Rising X and the aged Opus I’ve smoked is that the Rising X was much milder with no spice. This flavor remained fairly consistent for the remaining three quarters of the cigar. It was far from the best Opus I’ve ever had, but I still enjoyed it and smoked it down to the nub.

I had great expectations (perhaps too great of expectations) for this cigar and was a little disappointed that it didn’t come through like I’d hoped. I thought these were rolled recently for Hurricane Katrina (as a tribute, The Rising X:The House of the Rising Sun) and was surprised that it wasn’t the spicy and powerful cigar I was preparing for. Does anyone have more information on the age and blends of tobacco used for this cigar?

Brad

I am sad you were disappointed, I guess you don't want the other one. I just happen to have room for one more cigar :p :whistling: :thumbs:

Intruging profile, sounds a lot like the god of fire blends.

Read in the newest CA yesterday that the Rising X is avaible at the Casa Fuente (doesn't surprise me) anyone know a price?

Also, I notice in the pics from the review (Nice review :thumbs:) your "Rising X" does not have the second band like the one on Moki's page here:

opus_x_rising_x.jpg

Rising X Page

To clarify, the ones from CFC have one band, the ones from Big Smoke have two? ???

Do the ones at the Casa (if they are there) have three bands? :sign:

To clarify, the ones from CFC have one band, the ones from Big Smoke have two? ???

Do the ones at the Casa (if they are there) have three bands? :sign:

Yep, the ones from CFC came with just the Opus band on 'em. The ones from the CA event in LV had the second band (which is very cool looking). I'll let you know what the Casa Fuente cigars look like, my guess would be they will have the Forbidden X band on 'em, but we'll see...

Might want to age the other one, Brad... the Rising X hasn't gone through the traditional 1 year aging time that most Opus do (Carlito mentioned that they were rolled just 1 month before the Big Smoke in LV last year).

Perhaps some time would help it come around... or perhaps it is just a milder Opus blend, I don't know... haven't smoked one yet.

Nice review and pics!