• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fungus amungus

AKmik

After reading about moldy sharks it reminded me of this smoke. I have a pretty good stock pile of Anejo, and stumbled on a deal for a few boxes and some loose sticks. all had some age on them and after I smoked a few I found this one.
DEC2407021-vi.jpg

So I was a bit concerned, I inspected all and everything looked good, only this one and another about half as bad which wiped off and the foot was clean. This one the foot showed a tad of mold, very fine white. I decided to trim the cigar to see just how deep the mold went. Since the shark is too much for my cutter at the foot I had to improvise a bit. I decided to go with the precision cigar trimmer and take a 1/4" or so slice. The tobacco of the new foot looked perfect, the way an aged Anejo does, that deep coco color.
DEC2407026-vi.jpg

I decided this cigar needed to be smoked, I gave the cap a gentle wipe with a piece of cotton cleansing pad moistened with a special blended anti mold tobacco treatment solution (JW Black), The powdery white dust wiped right off, and the cap was wiped completely dry with a clean piece of cotton. Clipped the cap and enjoyed an ultra smooth rich smoke. I am not sure why this cigar was moldy, but I am glad I cought it in time. While I smoked this cigar I had concerns about the traces of mold that could have been present on the cap, so I decided a few extra ounces of antifungle scotch should be consumed while smoking this one. :whistling:

Good thing you got to it in time Mike.
I really hate not being home to check on my Anejos. All these mold outbreaks have me worried.

I figured you would have your girlfriend making a weekly round of your stash while you are away. :laugh:

You should have her take a look for you, I also found the start of mold on two of my #48s that I picked up from TS a few months back.

Thanks for posting it reminded me to check my Anejo's and I had one that was beginning to get mold on the foot. I find it odd because I have never had mold before and checked it very well before it went in the humidor and the temp and humidity have both been low 65-65 or so since it went in 2 months ago. Just weird well it wiped off and I put it all alone for now and will watch it to see if it comes back. I also put the rest of them in a spot in one of my humidors where I can see the whole cigar especially the foot.

i do not trust the anejo's.....my are mold free...but this is a consistent problem with this stick....and i'm tired of hearing every B&M telling me it's bloom/plume. this is bs....i just wipe em off...no harm done...still a great smoke...but I segregate them from my other sticks regardless.

Dude.....I try. It's a losing battle to get her off her ass to check on them for me. It would serioulsy take her 10 min to go through five boxes. She's driving me insane. I've been asking her to do this for 2 weeks!

I figured you would have your girlfriend making a weekly round of your stash while you are away. :laugh:

You should have her take a look for you, I also found the start of mold on two of my #48s that I picked up from TS a few months back.

Dammit...!! I just went through my Anejo's and found one 77 that had pretty distinct mold on the foot, and one that had teeny little spots that might have been mold.

The one with definite mold on the foot got about 1/2" sawed off, and the inside appears fine. The questionable one cleaned right up. They both got left "naked" in the cabinet on bare wood (on top of a box).

I'll dispose of them both over the next couple of days.....by fire, of course...... :cool:

Yep they will smoke just fine.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Johnnie,
You may need to replace her man!! My wife has it down, she takes about ten minutes to go through my desk top and frigador. They should be alright for now.
When are you heading back?

Shit... now you guys have made me decide to go through my stash that I boxed up for while I'm gone... I think there's only one or two Anejo in there (no sharks), but I don't want them getting out of control in the bottom of the container and infecting other cigars...

Dammit...!! I just went through my Anejo's and found one 77 that had pretty distinct mold on the foot, and one that had teeny little spots that might have been mold.

The one with definite mold on the foot got about 1/2" sawed off, and the inside appears fine. The questionable one cleaned right up. They both got left "naked" in the cabinet on bare wood (on top of a box).

I'll dispose of them both over the next couple of days.....by fire, of course...... :cool:
You know Tom. The mold on the Sharks are not the regular mold I have seen. I decided to smoke one now after reading this thread. The box I'm smoking out of is from 2006. There are 14 left in the box. Four had one or two little spots, two had some spots on the foot. However, when I chipped away at the foot on both, the "mold" was only on the surface.

I always take out the humidity pack when I receive Anejo's and this box, which has been in my humi for 18 months, was no different. As we know, the newer boxes have no humidity pack. Anyway, the point I am making is that the sticks in this box should be destroyed by mold by now, but they are not. Like I said, the mold on these sticks confuse me. Maybe it's humidifier mold, not water mold...can you see where I'm going with this?

Brian

I've had 5 from this year get mold. I've got a full box that nothing has sprouted on, though. Should I go ahead and take all the sticks in the box out of their cello?

I hear what you're saying Brian. The mold doesn't try and take over the stick, it just takes hold in a few spots and stays there. I had a few 48s last year that got mold under the cedar. I found two of them within a couple of months, but forgot to check the rest. I gave one to a friend this summer and it had mold. It wasn't any more mold than the ones that had it 5 months earlier.

Also, why are they waiting a month or two to sprout? For the most part the mold is coming out after they've been in a humi for a month or so. I did by the last 2 from my shop with a tiny bit of mold on them, but that's not usually the case.

So those are my other two questions, why does the mold wait so long to sprout? and Why does it only grow light spots and stay that way, instead of really infecting it hard core?

I've had 5 from this year get mold. I've got a full box that nothing has sprouted on, though. Should I go ahead and take all the sticks in the box out of their cello?

I hear what you're saying Brian. The mold doesn't try and take over the stick, it just takes hold in a few spots and stays there. I had a few 48s last year that got mold under the cedar. I found two of them within a couple of months, but forgot to check the rest. I gave one to a friend this summer and it had mold. It wasn't any more mold than the ones that had it 5 months earlier.

Also, why are they waiting a month or two to sprout? For the most part the mold is coming out after they've been in a humi for a month or so. I did by the last 2 from my shop with a tiny bit of mold on them, but that's not usually the case.

So those are my other two questions, why does the mold wait so long to sprout? and Why does it only grow light spots and stay that way, instead of really infecting it hard core?

I'd say yes. . . take them out of the cello. I had 3 boxes of sharks from this year, all without humipaks. One I took out of the cello, 2 of them I left in the cello. After one month, no mold found on the cello free, both of the cases with cello had 5 to 10 sticks with mold about the foot. :angry:

I'll continue to buy Anejos. . . they are my favorite stick, however in the future they will all be cello free as soon as they arrive. YMMV

I'd say yes. . . take them out of the cello. I had 3 boxes of sharks from this year, all without humipaks. One I took out of the cello, 2 of them I left in the cello. After one month, no mold found on the cello free, both of the cases with cello had 5 to 10 sticks with mold about the foot. :angry:

I'll continue to buy Anejos. . . they are my favorite stick, however in the future they will all be cello free as soon as they arrive. YMMV
Interesting! The discussion about Sharks has or rather, we thought, concluded that the humipak caused the mold. You say not! That it's the cello ??? I'll have to check the box I got that came
without the humipak.

Brian

i had this same problem with a box of tubos I received. They were Romeo y Julieta's Edicion Limitada 05's (the red ones) they smoked fantastic, but about half came with definite growths of either mold or plume. sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. i say, if its dusty and comes right off, it's bloom. if it's not dusty and stubborn, its mold. does that sound right?

Interesting! The discussion about Sharks has or rather, we thought, concluded that the humipak caused the mold. You say not! That it's the cello ??? I'll have to check the box I got that came
without the humipak.

Brian

I wish this would get solved. I dunno what to think anymore. Maybe it's the wrapper? It still doesn't explain why so many sharks develop moldy feet after some down time.

without the humipak.

Brian

I wish this would get solved. I dunno what to think anymore. Maybe it's the wrapper? It still doesn't explain why so many sharks develop moldy feet after some down time.
I just checked the box of Sharks I received 12/4/07. One stick out of 20 had two small spots which I wiped off. I took off all the cello! So, I'm guessing that this box was packaged,
say 2 months before I received it which would make it 5 months old. I still don't have a conclusive answer ??? As mentioned earlier, the box I have had for 18 months is ok. Also, the
sticks I found with mold on the foot had not penetrated into the cigar.

I have not seen any mold in other boxes of Anejo's, 46,50, 55 etc. The cello is still on these sticks.

Brian

All of mine are cello/cedar free. So far no mold, my girlfriend will be checking on them tomorrow, hopefully.

This thread has made me a bit paranoid.....I have 4 sharks, 2 of them from '06. One of those has a little bit of mold on the foot. I have resisted smoking it for a while. After the dreaded mold issue arising once again and the weather being tolerable yesterday, I decided to light that one up. Let's just say, I still have never been disappointed with an Anejo. IMO, unless an Anejo is starting to look like a bubble gum cigar, don't worry about it. The only good that came out of my worrying was that I got to smoke it.

-Bob