• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gel mounting option

Forge

Sorry this new guy question.

I got a desktop humidor and i was going to mount the digital hygrometer on the lid. I also purchased a gel jar from CI. I was wondering if i can mount the jar to the lid so the holes are facing down. Will the gel things fall out once they are depleted of water? WIll is mess up my nice cigars? I noticed people mounting the floral ones upside down, but hadnt seen any Gel based humidifiers mounted like this.

Thanks in advance,

- Forge

Sorry this new guy question.

I got a desktop humidor and i was going to mount the digital hygrometer on the lid. I also purchased a gel jar from CI. I was wondering if i can mount the jar to the lid so the holes are facing down. Will the gel things fall out once they are depleted of water? WIll is mess up my nice cigars? I noticed people mounting the floral ones upside down, but hadnt seen any Gel based humidifiers mounted like this.

Thanks in advance,

- Forge

What did CI recommend? Or the Gel Company?

CI doesn't state who makes the gel for them. I sent an email to CI, no response yet.

Is there a screen in the gel jar? If not, the gel crystals will fall out when they get dry. The ones that are made to be mounted like you're asking almost always have a screen.

it has a cover of sorts. It looks like the top of a spice bottle where it has serval holes in the top. Forgive my ignorance (just started getting into cigars a few weeks ago), but i am not sure how small the crystals get once emptied of water and dont think them falling on my stogies would be a good idea. Its a small 50 count capri humidor, so no tray to put the gel under.

EDIT - got a response form the vendor. Dont mount these upside down. They dont have a screen like the humicare ones have. Looks like the crystals will fall out if they are upside down and depleted of water. Sorry for wasting board space, but maybe this will answer the next guy/gals question.

it has a cover of sorts. It looks like the top of a spice bottle where it has serval holes in the top. Forgive my ignorance (just started getting into cigars a few weeks ago), but i am not sure how small the crystals get once emptied of water and dont think them falling on my stogies would be a good idea. Its a small 50 count capri humidor, so no tray to put the gel under.

You'll find many including me who will say ditch the gel, humidifiers that come with the humi, and anything else, and get yourself some heartfelt beads. You can mount them, sit them in there, do just about anything with them and they work far better than the gel. Check out heartfeltindustries.com and the customer service response, you will find, is much faster than CI.
If you're intent on sticking with the gel I would not recommend trying to mount the jar to the lid of your humi. It will be a pain space wise and you dont want to ruin any sticks. Just sit it in a corner of your humi.

Try searching as well, it is your friend!

Welcome and I hope this helps!

P.S. Also a good idea to head on over to the "Introduce yourself here" thread and post an intro about yourself. We like to get to know people around here! :)

Although I am a newb myself, I second the notion on the heart felt beads. They work great and Dave is a great guy with fast and friendly customer service.

Third on the heartfelt beads. Just got my Humi set up, seasoned and somewhat filled with stogies. The 65% beads hold dead nuts around 65%-67% according to my calibrated digital hydro.

How do you fill up the jar when it is upside down without taking all your cigars out of the humidor first? ???

Third on the heartfelt beads. Just got my Humi set up, seasoned and somewhat filled with stogies. The 65% beads hold dead nuts around 65%-67% according to my calibrated digital hydro.

"Dead on balls accurate?" "Its an industry term" ahhaha sorry that just reminded me of My Cousin Vinny.

They are using a magnet to keep them to the top of the lid. Simply take the humidifier device out, add distilled water and wait for it to absorb, then shake of anny excess water and remount.

They are using a magnet to keep them to the top of the lid. Simply take the humidifier device out, add distilled water and wait for it to absorb, then shake of anny excess water and remount.

I think he was being sarcastic when asking about how to refill the humidifier. It's pretty much common knowledge that you refill it by removing, adding water, and remounting. :whistling: :rolleyes: :D
Plus the comment was toward refilling the gel jar, not asking how to refill the humidifier in general :)

ANYHOO! don't try and mount the jar, no good can come of it!