• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Getting a bit confused about Boveda packets and hygrometer!

domlee

Quick question. And yes...I've searched but I'm still confused.

I'm seasoning my humidor right now.
I've wiped down the humidor interior.
I've tossed in 3 Boveda packets into the humidor.

Do I toss in the Heartfelt beads as well?
Or do I toss in the beads AFTER the 10 days?

Right now...there is no humidification device in the humidor.

Don't put the Heartfelt Humidity Beads in the humidor until you take the Bovedas out. If you have them both in there the beads will soak up the moisture from the Bovedas instead of the moisture going into your humidor wood.

Domlee,

The humidity in my desktop has been decreasing recently. After talking to Viper a bit it seems as though it hasn't been completely seasoned yet and the cedar is absorbing the beads humidity instead of the cigars. I suggest keeping your beads very hydrated, as close to 100% as possible for a couple weeks after you put the tube in as the cedar will likely continue to absorb moisture until it's full.

I suggest keeping your beads very hydrated, as close to 100% as possible for a couple weeks after you put the tube in as the cedar will likely continue to absorb moisture until it's full.

Your advice to hydrate the beads to 100% for a couple of weeks is bad advice.

If your humidor is still absorbing you would be better off placing a bowl of water in for absorbtion. Once you have reached around 70% or so remove the bowl. If you see a rapid decrease put the bowl of water back in. Repeat until little to no decrease is seen when the bowl is removed. When the humidity maintains its level after removing the bowl then introduce properly hydrated beads.

What he said.

Trying to compensate for inadequately seasoned humidor will end up drying one side of your cigars and over-saturating the other side. A recipe for burn problems if ever there was one! :D

I'm just going by the advice that Viper told me..... I do see what your saying though.

Thanks for the advice guys.
My humidor is still seasoning...

but since it has gotten soooo HOT in LA, I've already made the decision to purchase a Vinotemp.
There is just no other way to keep the cigars at a "reasonable" temperature w/o using either a wine cooler
or having the a/c running. And seeing as the wine cooler will probably consume less electricity than the a/c...
it was an easy choice.

The only frustrating part is...I still can't purchase cigars right now.
A friend is going to Hong Kong in a few days. Perfect opportunity to pick up a few things.

Maybe if I place an order for beads today and pick up the Vinotemp in a day or two...I can be ready by the time
he gets back. Hmmm.....