• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gin Help?

Nashkicker

Kick Ass Duke
The father of one of my closest students invited my wife and I to his 50th birthday bash. He is a gin drinker and I would like to pick up a nice bottle for him, Maybe something a little off the beaten path in terms of availability. I did a search and it didnt turn up much. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Boodles, Tanqueray, Leopold Bros. Small Batch American Gin,and Bombay Saphire are good choices.

My favorite is Damrak (Amsterdam) with Citadel (France) coming in at a close second. Damrak is gonna be a lighter juniper taste and pretty smooth while citadel is strong and flavorful (but still very tasty).

If you're looking for something really rare, Nolet's Reserve Dry Gin. It'll run you a little under $700.

Kendricks, Bombay Sapphire are two that come to mind immediately. A little off the beaten path, won't break the bank.

I was going to say Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray Ten, but I'm not really sure there are too many "off the beaten path" gins and how good they are.

I'd say Sapphire is pretty prevalent everywhere now, and only the Tanqueray Reserve is more off the beaten path. (The Tanq. Ten is pretty good though) "H"endricks is a little off the beaten path, very strong cucumber taste, not really to my liking, but it is different.

"H"endricks is a little off the beaten path, very strong cucumber taste, not really to my liking, but it is different.
You are absolutely right....I f'd that one up big time. It it indeed Hendricks Gin.

As far as the Cucumber taste, it's great on the rocks, less so when mixed. As with many things in life, YMMV......

"H"endricks is a little off the beaten path, very strong cucumber taste, not really to my liking, but it is different.
You are absolutely right....I f'd that one up big time. It it indeed Hendricks Gin.

As far as the Cucumber taste, it's great on the rocks, less so when mixed. As with many things in life, YMMV......

Heh, actually for a second there you got me thinking it was Kendricks too. I started saying to myself, "Kendricks...kendricks...yeah..."

Get some "Old Tom" and really be different. Ransom or Hayman's should be easy enough to find with a little effort.

All the above are good options.

I would second Hendricks and add Plymouth Navy Strength. It is a Great Gin that has fairly wide distribution and not all that well known.

It is almost Gin season. Not much better than a nice G&T on a hot day. Can't wait for the sun to make a more permanant appearance.

I'm not a gin drinker, except for Hendrick's. Love it muddled with a cucumber slice and a splash of tonic in the summer. And the bottle's wickedly cool. :thumbs:

It's "off the beaten path" enough to likely be something a little different. There's also another Scottish gin, Caorunn, distilled at Balmenach. Bottle looks like an Erlenmeyer flask!

For something truly different, perhaps Rusty Blade Cask Strength Gin? There's also some high proof gins out there like Plymouth that he might find an appealing change of pace.

~Boar

I was in Massachusetts last month, and stumbled upon some small batch gin at a whiskey tasting. Berkshire Mountain Distillers. Their website lists 2 different gins, but I'm almost positive they had a 3rd kind at the store for tasting. It had a very peppery taste. Either way, definitely off the beaten path. Check them out: http://berkshiremountaindistillers.com/indexMain.php

Not a rarity by any means, but I bought my friend a bottle of Tanqueray Ten, and he loved it.

Beefeater Wet if you want something really quite different.

Oh and Hendricks.

...and Bombay Sapphire.

Thanks for the input guys.

i went with a bottle of Hendricks and a bottle of Tanqueray Ten.

I was just going to put my vote in for Hendricks, glad you chose it! It's fantastic on the rocks, don't bother with the tonic.