• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Give me Rye whiskey

Devil Doc

When Death smiles, Corpsmen smile back
I went to the liquor store today for some Rye to make some of Ray's perfect Manhattans. There wasn't much of a selection. There was Old Overholt at $12, Jim Beam @ $16 and some stuff in a fancy bottle called, (Ri) at $40 a bottle. I bought the Beam. The Manhattans were excellent. Best I ever had. I had always used Bourbon in the past and I'm not particularly fond of it. The wife and I then went out to dinner where the waitress totally fugged up my order, but she was such an attractive red head I couldn't get pissed at her. She was cute. Kind of like a young Bonnie Rait, only better looking. Anyway when I got home I needed a drink. It's hard on me when I'm nice to people. So I decided to try the Beam Rye straight up in one of my fancy scotch glasses. I'm glad I did. This stuff is great. Why I haven't tried it before is beyond me. It has a wonderful sweet finish that seems to last forever with none of the unpleasant flavors that I find in Bourbon or Canadian whiskey. It truly is the American Islay. Tomorrow, I'm go back to the state store and buying a bottle of that fancy (Ri). I let you know what I think.

Doc.

I've heard that Ri was supposed to be pretty good. I almost picked up a bottle at the state store last night, but decided to go with my whiskey staple, JD.

I don't have broad experience with with Rye, but so far my favorite is Sazerac 18. Neat is THE way to drink it, too.

~Boar

As you know I am a fan of rye but the Ri is overpriced for what you get. The best bang for your rye dollar will be Wild Turkey Rye which should be in the $22 area or if you can't find that the Russell's Reserve Rye (6yo) (there is also a 10 yo which is overkill for a mixed drink) or Sazerac 6 yo rye. Old Overholt is made by Beam and is probably a lower cut of their Yellow Label Rye.

You can read about the Rye herf I had here.

I went to the liquor store today for some Rye to make some of Ray's perfect Manhattans. There wasn't much of a selection. There was Old Overholt at $12, Jim Beam @ $16 and some stuff in a fancy bottle called, (Ri) at $40 a bottle. I bought the Beam. The Manhattans were excellent. Best I ever had. I had always used Bourbon in the past and I'm not particularly fond of it. The wife and I then went out to dinner where the waitress totally fugged up my order, but she was such an attractive red head I couldn't get pissed at her. She was cute. Kind of like a young Bonnie Rait, only better looking. Anyway when I got home I needed a drink. It's hard on me when I'm nice to people. So I decided to try the Beam Rye straight up in one of my fancy scotch glasses. I'm glad I did. This stuff is great. Why I haven't tried it before is beyond me. It has a wonderful sweet finish that seems to last forever with none of the unpleasant flavors that I find in Bourbon or Canadian whiskey. It truly is the American Islay. Tomorrow, I'm go back to the state store and buying a bottle of that fancy (Ri). I let you know what I think.

Doc.

I guess I'll take your advice and pass on the (Ri). It looks like I'll have to travel to Nashua or Salem to get the others you recommend. Fortunately, I'm not cursed with your discriminating taste. I'm quite happy with the Beam, for now.

Doc.

I'm a big fan of the Sazerac 6 year old, have yet to try to the 18. I keep a bottle of Old Overholt around as well, for mindless sipping. Have also been working on a bottle of Michter's Straight Rye which is good, but not my favorite rye that I've sampled.

<snip>none of the unpleasant flavors that I find in Bourbon or Canadian whiskey.<snip>
That's because we keep the good stuff here :whistling:.

Alberta Premium (5-yr) is about the only 100% rye whisky left in Canada, and Alberta Premium Limited Edition 25-year-old has just been discontinued (gotta scoop up a few bottles before it sells out ...).

I knew I posted this for you before. It just took me awhile to find it.

I remember. That was a long time ago. I had been a member for a little over a year. I found This the other day. It's Tex Ritter's version

Doc.

All the versions of "Rye Whiskey" use the Jelly Roll Morton line about the diving duck although Tex tossed in that "So we'll round up the cattle...." line. You can listen to the original version of Hesitation Blues by Mr. Morton here

Doc.

It is my humble opinion that Jim Beam Rye is by far the best whiskey in it's price point. I always keep a bottle of it on my shelf.

The only bad thing about it is; like the White label..... don't look to get drunk off of it. You'll have to drink a lot of it to get a good buzz, which also makes it a good mixer for parties where you want to serve something on the lighter side.

Beam Rye is pretty much the only whiskey I'll buy under $30.00 besides Buffalo Trace.

Dave

I like Sazerac both the standard and the Antique Collection, Russel's Reserve, and Wild Turkey Rye. All great Rye's and not too expensive.

Rye sounds intriguing. I don't think I've ever sampled any. I'm a real novice when it comes to whisky/whiskey. Would I like it if I like scotch & irish whiskey? Or is it completely different?

I will add to Ian and say that the Tomas H. Handy is the best Rye I have ever tasted. Like the Sazerac 18, It is Antique Collection out of Buffalo Trace. The Sazerac regualr edition is also very good and a well added point.

Doc will have a hell of a hard time finding the Antiques where he is at. However, if he ever wants any I am there for good sir.

I will also slightly disagree about (Ri). I am paying right around 50 for it here in Michigan, and it is not worth that price, not even close considering the other high quality you can get at that price point (see Van Winkle Rye).

That said, for 40 bucks, it is not a horribly bad buy (and yes that $10 does make a diffrence in rating :laugh: ). Doc, I would give it a try for that amount for sure. It is a good rye and it all just depends on how you "take your martini's". It lacks depth, but it has a really nice nose and a great carmel taste and a beautiful hue. With an old fashion I bet it would be amazing.

Let me know if you want any of that rare stuff.

Rye sounds intriguing. I don't think I've ever sampled any. I'm a real novice when it comes to whisky/whiskey. Would I like it if I like scotch & irish whiskey? Or is it completely different?

According to my taste buds, rye whiskey tends to have a spicier flavor profile than other whiskeys. If you like a bit of spice, it's definitely worth a try.

Not too many people like both scotch and bourbon/rye but at around $20 for a decent bottle (Wild Turkey Rye) it could be worth giving it a try. If you don't like it with a little ice then try ginger ale as a mixer.

I did a high-end rye article awhile ago. Probably one of my favorite articles I have been involved with.

http://www.app.com/goodlife/Fall2007/topshelf/topshelf.html

As far as bang for your buck, the Rittenhouse BIB is great for Manhattans and rye based mixed drinks at $12-$15 a bottle.
For a step up the baby Sazerac is my goto rye. For over-aged high end ryes check out the link above.

I did a high-end rye article awhile ago. Probably one of my favorite articles I have been involved with.

http://www.app.com/goodlife/Fall2007/topshelf/topshelf.html

As far as bang for your buck, the Rittenhouse BIB is great for Manhattans and rye based mixed drinks at $12-$15 a bottle.
For a step up the baby Sazerac is my goto rye. For over-aged high end ryes check out the link above.

Nice article. Bet that one was fun to research.