• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Glassware & Cabinetry

ThankYouForNotSmoking

Self-Proclaimed Everyman's Man
I know a lot of people on here have experience both with alcohol and wood working, so I was wondering...

I have what I take to be white oak cabinets for dishes, glassware, etc. My parents house in TN also had wooden cabinetry. Both are exposed wood on the inside, no painting, but I assume treated with something. The problem is, whenever I leave my glassware in the cabinetry for a few days, it gets that wooden smell to it. Usually a water rinse solves the issue, but it's kind of annoying, and when I was home over Christmas the glassware, which isn't used as often as mine and probably sat for 6months, needed a good soaking in warm soapy water to get the woody smell out.

So the question is does anyone have the same problem, and does anyone know how to fix it?

Glass shouldn't absorb any smell. Do your wine bottles smell like wine before you open them? No becuase glass doesn't retain the oder. Now dust on the glass might but you didn't say anything about that.

Glass shouldn't absorb any smell. Do your wine bottles smell like wine before you open them? No becuase glass doesn't retain the oder. Now dust on the glass might but you didn't say anything about that.

I guess it probably is the particulates that collect on the glass, falling from the wood or something. I noticed when they sit in the cabinets for a long time, like at my parent's home, they were cloudy.

I guess it probably is the particulates that collect on the glass, falling from the wood or something. I noticed when they sit in the cabinets for a long time, like at my parent's home, they were cloudy.

turn em upside down maybe

Glass will attract smoke, dust, cooking particlesetc etc over time and get cloudy. As was said, turn them upside down to keep the insides clean.

I'd clean out the cabinets if I were you, sounds like they're pretty dirty.

I moved into a new house this summer, and the glassware in our cabinets definitely holds some aromas from the wood.
I don't recall off hand what kind of wood the cabinets are made of, but there is a distinct vanilla aroma. It's become a running
joke when drinking wine or beer to comment on hints of vanilla. We've started washing glasses or leaving a few out before
drinking something that you really want to savor.

Throw a few boxes of baking soda in there. That might help soak up some of the odor. It is cheap and worth a try.

Shane

Throw a couple of Moontraces or Acids in the cabinet and hey presto wood smell is all gone. :laugh:

Naw, seriously the baking soda suggestion should work great. If not maybe seal / re-seal the interior wood with poly / varnish / linseed oil whatever the rest of the wood is coated with. I personally would choose a satin or semi-gloss polyurethane.