• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Glendronach 18 Old Allardice

indyrob

You smell like my sausage!
Tonight is Glendronach 18 redux. The first time I had it I was really not expecting how full this whisky is/was. I had called this a beast in a glass after the first night and still stick to that.

The only difference tonight from the first night was changed glasses from the Glencairn to an Edinburgh glass. The Edinburgh has a nice diameter and easy to pour a small amount like 1 1/2 oz.

The nose on this expression is full of brown sugar & a little fruit, there is a nice aroma of fudge, but I could only put my finger on that after I gleaned it from the website.

The 18 is probably one of the most complex expressions I have ever had. There is so much going on it's really hard to nail any one thing down but I'll try. At first there is a warm honey that fades quickly into a thick fruity taste like plum closing on a straw quality and finishes fruity (again like plum) with a saltiness to it that reminds me more of celery salt than just "salt". The finish is enormously long and very pleasant. I would GLADLY order another bottle of this for sure.

There is a neat history to Glendronach. It's worth checking out their website.

Awesome and if you passed on this in the GB....go ahead and smack yourself 'cause this one is well worth having.

Anyone else had it and wants to chime in?

I did see that Seth has the 12 on sale @ SV....just sayin....

I'm cracking my bottle from the Scotch Buy next weekend and will add my review here. :thumbs:

And let me just say, you've made it really, really hard to wait even THAT long! :whistling:

~Boar

Okay, initial thoughts:

This is really, really, REALLY good Scotch with a really, really, REALLY long finish. :laugh:

Seriously, this is one of the best Scotches I've ever tasted. Right up there with Aberlour a'bunadh for depth and complexity of flavor, but achieved in a non-cask strength proof.

I've got a tulip glass, neat, and a rocks glass, rocks (not as many as usual, so quit glaring at me, Ray) and both are amazing. Neat, there's a nose of honey and figs, with a bit of a citrus topnote from the alcohol vapor. Somewhat thick, oily mouthfeel with a finish that goes on FOREVER. Seems very muscular and structured for a sherry casking, but incredibly smooth.

I'm tasting a hint of vanilla, lots of dried berry flavor notes, some heather, and of course the wonderful oloroso sherry casking, which is just superb. On the rocks, there's an added spiciness as it opens up that reminds me of nutmeg.

Fantastic Scotch. This one is a real winner, Ray. :thumbs:

I'm gonna light my GOF and settle in with this one now. :cool:

~Boar

My older brother got a disability settlement recently and decided he owed me a bottle of Scotch . . . I like how he thinks! Anyway, while I thought about sticking him up for a bottle of Balvenie Portwood 21 or Johnny Walker Blue Label, I went with Glendronach Allardice (currently at $102 here). I generally describe the Glendronach Revival, their 15 year old, as "my favorite Scotch" and indeed, it's sweeter and "sherrier" and a bit less of a complex beast in a glass than the Allardice, but . . . wow. This is, on revisiting, every bit as amazing as the first time around. Incredible dram.

~Boar