• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Glendronach 1994 Cask Strength Pedro Jimenez 17 Y.O.~

The labeling specifies this as being bottled exclusively for Spec's, which is the Texas "big box" liquor store chain where I bought it.  The closest image I could find online was one bottled for the Taiwan market as a 16 year old; usually Glendronach selects Spanish Oloroso butts or puncheons for their single cask bottlings. I'd had (and enjoyed immensely) a regular proof Pedro Jimenez single cask from Glendronach previously, a 1996 I think that one was, so this offering definitely piqued my interest.

Anyway, when this came in at the same time as the 21 year old cask strength (an Oloroso casking) they got in for me, and an exclusive, and $30 less at only $109 . . . well, I just had to bring one home.  :cool:

Color is a deep blood amber with a dark burnished gold glow, even in the snifter.  One of the darkest Scotchs I've seen, actually. Nose is candied figs and orange peel, and on the tongue, toffee opens up to dried fruits with hints of vanilla and ginger, before fading into a long, long, loooooong salted chocolate finish. The tasting experience is one of dense, complex, rich layers of big flavors---like the Allardice, this is another "beast in the glass."  Powerful dram!

Mouthfeel is viscous, almost syrupy, and for a cask strength (55.1%) the "burn," while definitely there, is astonishingly muted. I'd never have taken it for 110 proof if I hadn't read the label.

I've yet to try a Glendronach offering I didn't love.  This is a distillery that, if you're unfamiliar with, you should definitely seek out.  And if you've a Spec's in your neighborhood . . . ask them about this one.  It's a true gem of a Scotch.

~Boar

Nice review Boar. I was just thinking about ordering a bottle of the 21 cask strength.

I haven't cracked the 21 yet, but what I found with the Glendronach Parliament is that at that age, Glendronach gets just ridiculously smooth.  :love:

~Boar