• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Glenmorangie Port Finish

celticmanx

Gents,

Just bought a bottle of Glenmorangie Port Finish and took it for a test drive tonight.

At first glance: Nice dark amber color with a tawny port nose, very fruity with carmel notes.

Palate: Very sweet and delicate at first with a mildy salty bite, hints of the obvious port finish that blend nicely into a smokey spicey scotch. Hints of carmel, appricot and nuts. This finishes with a long soft cool fruity tone with a late bite once again.

For the $ about $40-50 it was a nice purchase for a port finish.

I'd rate it a straight 8 out of 10

Any one else ever try this scotch and have some feedback?

I don't own any Port finish besides the Balvenie PortWood. What others have you had to compare it to?

For the $ about $40-50 it was a nice purchase for a port finish.

I bought a bottle of it for my buddy as a Xmas gift, and we had a few drams with some cigars. I presonally loved it...very smooth and I like the sweetness it gave the finish.

If you really like it, snatch it up now...Glenmorangie got bought out by the same company that owns Louis Vuitton and a slew of other over-priced "luxury" brands and they are in the midst of jacking the price of Glenmorangie up even more. The Port Finish version is going to be called "Quinta Ruban" from now on and will start sell for $60-70 a bottle :angry:

I haven't tried the Quinta Ruban, but I've heard it tastes different than the Port Finish. I can tell you that in Atlanta with the exception of the Madeira Finish, the Glenmorangie barrel finishes are getting scarce.

I haven't tried the Quinta Ruban, but I've heard it tastes different than the Port Finish. I can tell you that in Atlanta with the exception of the Madeira Finish, the Glenmorangie barrel finishes are getting scarce.

Same here. I've been on the lookout for the Portwood finish for a long time now. My bottle is almost gone. :(

I'll keep an eye open for a bottle for you, Greg.

I don't own any Port finish besides the Balvenie PortWood. What others have you had to compare it to?

Not sure which one you have as I think The Balvenie offers a few selections. I had the Portwood 21 y/o, which was 2x$ of the Glenmorangie. I actually prefered The Belvanie as it wasn't as sweet as the Glenmorangie. Also as you would expect a 21yo verses a 12yo has a smoother finish. I'd give The Balvenie a 9.1 out of 10 as a comparison scale rating top the 8 out of 10 I rated the Glenmorangie. So for the $ I was suprised by the Glenmorangie.

Same here. I've been on the lookout for the Portwood finish for a long time now. My bottle is almost gone. :(

Greg - I'm pretty sure my local packy has another bottle, if not as my normal stop over, at one of the sister stores. If you want I'd be willing to check it out and we can work something out.

Thanks but I believe khari already has me sorted out. If that falls through I will be PMing you. lol

Greg,

I picked up a bottle of this yesterday at the Goody Goody in The Colony. I open it tonight. :)

Can you say cigar at my house this week sometime?

Josh, from what it sounds like you bought the newer version of the Port wood. The Quinta Ruban replaced the older version and I think is a bit more expensive. I've also heard it's not as good but I guess we'll see.

Here's a pic of the old one...I still haven't opened the last one I got and don't know if I will.
GMGOB.NON19.jpg

Yes, I guess I got the newer version. Cost around $65. Its a MUCH darker color than ^that one. I really enjoyed it. I didnt really take the time to take in all the flavors as I was enjoying it with my uncle at a dinner party. I will try to spend sometime this week reviewing it.