• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Going to the DR for four days

Zach

Addicted to race cars
Hey every1,
It appears my family is going to the DR for four days in the middle of April. Just curious, how difficult is it to get tours of the Fuente factories? Any suggestions on other cigar related things i should check out are more than welcome! :thumbs: Also, are cigars any less expensive down there? I'm not sure how to go about asking this, but i'm looking to bring back a few ISOMs as well...any tips?

-Zach

Forget about touring the Fuente factories, they do not do public tours. As far as Cubans are concerened, if you do not buy them from a LA Casa Del Habanos store then you will get nothing but fakes. They sell fake Cubans and even fake Opus in every single store on the island. Bring your own cigars, all of the mfgs down there are in a trade free zone behind gaurded gates. Everyting is made for export only. There are absolutely no deals to be had on the island.

The Master would not lie!!!

Listen to The Master for he speaks the truth!

(really!)

Google DR cigar tours. You'll find other factories that offer tours. :thumbs:

I found some ISOM's in 1 humidor that wasn't CdH. Everything was legit. They didn't have a great selection of Cubans though. Some Partagas, some Montes, some Cohibas. The price was decent too, got Monte #2's for around $9 each. But this is the exception to what the Master said. Everywhere else I saw fakes. The only Dominicans I saw for sale were Aurora regular line. Also, there were Oryon's everywhere. Apparently this is their local consumption cigar. I bought a bundle for $20. Ugly as sin, but a very decent light bodied cigar. Perfect for walking around Santo Domingo. If I had to snuff it out to go in some place, I didn't care. Also great to hand out to the non smokers at the bar.
Rum was cheap down there. I bought a handle of Brugal Anejo for $15. Great price for a decent mixing rum. Be careful of the girls in the bars and clubs. Most any woman in the bar or club can be had for greenbacks. Also, they will invite you to a better club with more women, and once in the cab, her friends will roll you for what you have.
Sometimes it is worth hiring the local guy as a tour guide. A group of 5-6 of us had one. We paid him $20 American, bough him a couple of beers and a hamburger. He showed us around for about 12 hours. Kept us out of the wrong places, bartered for us, translated when needed, good directions, etc... He probably saved our group on the average of $20-30 each.
Have fun and stay safe!

Emo