• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Going to Vegas in a week and I have a sinus infection.

XxMerlinxX

I am a leaf on the wind...
This really sucks. I'm going to be in Vegas in a weeks time and I have a sinus infection AGAIN! This happened the same time last year and it really put a damper on the first 3 days of being there. I've always just toughed it out until it goes away, but normally I have to go to the doctor and get antibiotics as it tends to turn into an upper respiratory infection if not treated. Does anybody have any home remedies for getting rid of this thing? I'm going to Wal-Mart tonight to get the following:

Apple Cider Vinegar - Mix it with hot water and drink it over like a half hour. Yummy.
Syringe - Warm some water and add salt, then shoot it up my nose like a heroine addict.
Also going to go all ancient chinese herbalist on it and get...
Garlic Capsules
Ginseng
Echinacea
Goldenseal

If anybody else has any ideas, I'm all ears.

If your going in a week, why not just hit an urgent care place and ask for the antibiotics?

I don't get them much...well I think i don't. But quite often i get sinus headaches and I'll take tylenol severe allergy or sinus stuff, and lately I found mucinex-d to be helping abit. Really though, if the anti's fix it, why bother with home remedy?

If it's a bacterial infection the fast cure is antibiotics. The next fastest cure would be a Neti Pot, that is if you can stand the gross factor. I used mine a few months ago when I started getting a cold. I'm pretty sure it shortened it by several days and it didn't seem as sever as normal. Google has tons of information on it. They're also great for allergies. Make sure you get the salt solution that you mix in otherwise it will burn like a...

I kind of wanted to have all of my bases covered, it's been at least 10 years since I took any form of antibiotic and I couldn't remember how long it would take to kick in.

You'll have to take the antibiotics for 5 to 7 days and maybe as long as 10. You'll have to take them all and alcohol is a no-no during and up to 3 days after. If you are really resistant to taking antibiotics give the Neti-pot a try and let us know how it works out.

I have a couple cousins that swear by the neti pot... haven't used one myself but I did try something called Hydrasense. Not sure if it's available in the US or not. Youtube has a ton of tutorials on the neti pot. Take a look at some and decide if it's something you can handle :)

Since the Neti-pot is more gravity fed, try using their other sinus rinse. Same packets + distilled water, just a more forceful version you squeeze into your nose. It will rinse out all that gunk that will build up.
neilmedsinusrinse.jpg

Also, it MAY help reduce how much you blow your nose while suffering from your sinus infection. Once that headache from all that honkin' starts, it's gonna be a long day!!
Oh, and try some over the counter Clairtin w/ decongestant if you can't get the antibiotics.
thumbs-up.gif
I have sinus problems too.

Good luck!

This really sucks. I'm going to be in Vegas in a weeks time and I have a sinus infection AGAIN! This happened the same time last year and it really put a damper on the first 3 days of being there. I've always just toughed it out until it goes away, but normally I have to go to the doctor and get antibiotics as it tends to turn into an upper respiratory infection if not treated. Does anybody have any home remedies for getting rid of this thing? I'm going to Wal-Mart tonight to get the following:

Apple Cider Vinegar - Mix it with hot water and drink it over like a half hour. Yummy.
Syringe - Warm some water and add salt, then shoot it up my nose like a heroine addict.
Also going to go all ancient chinese herbalist on it and get...
Garlic Capsules
Ginseng
Echinacea
Goldenseal

If anybody else has any ideas, I'm all ears.

I kind of wanted to have all of my bases covered, it's been at least 10 years since I took any form of antibiotic and I couldn't remember how long it would take to kick in.

Don't do it. Go with your first thought. No antibiotics, they're bad for you IMHO! But raw garlic is the best if you can figure out a way to ingest it. Raw and organic. The rest of it should work as well.

We will have to get together and have a smoke while you are in town, when you feel good of course.

PJ

Since the Neti-pot is more gravity fed, try using their other sinus rinse. Same packets + distilled water, just a more forceful version you squeeze into your nose. It will rinse out all that gunk that will build up.
neilmedsinusrinse.jpg

Also, it MAY help reduce how much you blow your nose while suffering from your sinus infection. Once that headache from all that honkin' starts, it's gonna be a long day!!
Oh, and try some over the counter Clairtin w/ decongestant if you can't get the antibiotics.
thumbs-up.gif
I have sinus problems too.

Good luck!

This is the exact same method that I use when I get my sinus pressure/allergy stuff this time of year. It seems to help really well.

I wouldn't worry that much, you don't need your sense of smell to enjoy strippers! :laugh:

Don't do it. Go with your first thought. No antibiotics, they're bad for you IMHO! But raw garlic is the best if you can figure out a way to ingest it. Raw and organic. The rest of it should work as well.

We will have to get together and have a smoke while you are in town, when you feel good of course.

PJ

Don't worry, when I found out I couldn't drink while on the antibiotics, that pretty much ruled them out for me. Can't go to Vegas and not drink, lol. I'll definitely be dropping by your shop though, PJ, it's practically right around the corner from where I'm staying. So far I've been doing the garlic, echinacea, and emergen-c thing every day and I feel a lot better. Hopefully only a couple more days of this and I'll be back to full fighting strength.

Don't smoke. Avoid wheat and milk. The Neti-Pot helps but don't blow your nose too hard. Antibiotics are great, providing you actually have an infection.

Oh, see a reputable allergist to make sure he/she can't detect underlying allergic rhinitis.

Hope that helps any.

-Mark