• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

Aventinus

This is a great brew if you can find it. I call it dessert in a glass, because it has so much chocolate and vanilla flavor.
The label has some comments from the brewer. He says it is a great beer to have with a cigar, but he couldn't find one that could hold up to the beer.
I thought I would take the challenge. I looked through the humidor and chose the Opus Petit Lancero.

IMG_0269.jpg

It was a great looking stick with a nice cedar aroma to it. The draw was a little tight, and the smoke volume was a little stingy to start. After about an inch, I snipped a little more off, and it opened up. I've only smoked a couple of Opus, and I always expect them to be some type of powerhouse. The actually seem a little more refined to me, but it still had plenty of strength. I had a pleasant nic buzz towards the end. Medium bodied, I wasn't catching descriptive flavors very well.

IMG_0272.jpg

Burned well, although it did go out about halfway. The beer more than held it's own, very full bodied with a great mouthfeel. All in all, I would say I was a little underwhelmed by the Opus. It certainly wasn't bad, but it didn't wow me either. I really like the PL size (6.25x39). I smoked it a little past where the band would be. About 1:15 smoke time.

The beer sounds great! I'm a stout whore so I'll try to find it around here.

Umm...is it me or is there something disturbing about that frog cigar combo? ???

Anyone know where to find this brew? ??? Looks great and PL is a favorite of many Opus smokers.

That really sounds like a great beer! I would love to find some as well!
Thanks for the review, and great pictures... even the frog!!! ???

Anyone know where to find this brew? ??? Looks great and PL is a favorite of many Opus smokers.

I'm not sure how often they release this. I picked it up around Christmas, and that was my last bottle.
It's pretty pricy, but well worth it. I haven't seen it around since then.

Bourbon Barrel aging seems to be getting popular. Schlafly had a nice Imperial Stout. My mother out in Cali hooked me up with a bottle of Firestone Walker's 10th Anniversary beer that was amazing. O'Fallon out of St. Louis aged some of their smoked porter in a Bourbon Barrel as well.

Great review and photos Aventinus. It looks like it was a beautiful day and you captured the moment well. I look forward to tracking this beer down as it sounds like a champ. Thanks!