• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Goose Island

Aventinus

We took the kids to Chicago for Spring Break, did the museums, Sears Tower and St. Patrick's Day. Dad's part of the trip was a Blackhawks game and dinner at Goose Island. It was awesome. The food was pub fare, but the beer was amazing! I started off with a Dirty Goose, a hoppy brown ale.
Next up was La Deuxieme, as strong dark Belgian. I finished off with a snifter of Russian Imperial Stout. My wife had the Belgian Blonde and Matilda.
Definitely a must visit if you are in the city.

Unfortunately I didn't get to take a lot of beer home. The stores near our hotel didn't have a good selection. I went out on our last night to go to Sam's, but it was closed. What kind of liquor store closes at 8PM? On St. Patrick's day no less!

What kind of liquor store closes at 8PM? On St. Patrick's day no less!
The kind where all the workers want to go out and celebrate!

Sounds like a great trip with some great beer, though.

I really love Goose Island Honker's Ale and the 312 wheat beer. That would be an awesome dinner. Good for you. I'm salivating.

:laugh:

Yeah. I'm especially fond of Honkers doing stuff they wouldn't ordinarily do because of beer. :thumbs:

Very nice!! I love GI, great place! If you ask, they will usually give you a sample of a couple of the beers, especially if they know youre dropping some coin on dinner! It looks as if you had a couple I haven't had a chance to try, I guess a trip into Chitown is in order!

Had a little gathering a couple weekends ago, so we headed down to the brewery for some lunch and picked up 4 growlers. Nothing better than drinking quality draft beer.

Hey A, which brewpub were you at? If you were at the original, Sams, the biggest liquor store in Chitown is just around the corner and if you were in Wrigleyville, there is Binny's about 3 (long) blocks south where Clark meets Broadway. Either way, both stores should have been open to at least 9pm. Bummer as they both stock a ton of brews. Sams is like a walmart of booze! G1

I am a fan of Goose Island. The Honkers, Hex Nut, and Oatmeal Stout being very reliable standbys. I bought some Matilda and Pere Jacques the other day, and although I haven't tried the Pere Jacques yet, I had a bottle of Matilda last night; what a beer! It may well have had the best aroma of any beer I've ever had. It was very complex, with floral, citrus, tropical fruit, and sweet malt. Although it appears they use Brett I'm not familiar enough to know if that was noticeable. I found myself just sitting there with my nose in the goblet, repeatedly inhaling that heavenly scent. The flavor did not live up to the nose, but was still very nice, being quite sweet, again with the floral, fruit and malt. There was very little hop bitterness. The description says it's well-hopped, but there must just be so much malt that the hops are overpowered. The aroma is what makes this beer, though, and it is outstanding.

I'm going to see if I can pick up a case tonight.

Hey A, which brewpub were you at? If you were at the original, Sams, the biggest liquor store in Chitown is just around the corner and if you were in Wrigleyville, there is Binny's about 3 (long) blocks south where Clark meets Broadway. Either way, both stores should have been open to at least 9pm. Bummer as they both stock a ton of brews. Sams is like a walmart of booze! G1

We were at Clybourn. You could see the Sam's, but it was Sunday night, and it was already closed. We were staying in the Western suburbs, and the stores in the area sucked.

Wow, that sucks! There are some good places to go in the 'burbs, but not every town has a good beer bar or store! For future reference, here's a site that lists good beer places in many parts of the country, select the city or area you are visiting and this will give you places to choose from both beer bars and stores:
http://beermapping.com/city-beer-maps/