• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Got my humi today....

Mindflux

I bought my humi from rubustohumidors on eBay per some nice words said about them on clubstogie...

I get my humi today and unpack it at lunch so I can leave it to season while I'm at work to get the process rolling.

Here's a (crappy) pic of the removable tray in the HUMI. You can see around the 'vents' in the tray the wood has chipped away or whatever (from cutting it I presume)..

Is this going to end up causing problems?

100514183941_G.jpg

:whistling:

Oh also the seller said it had a spanish cedar tray. I 'm wondering if it's just lined with spanish cedar as the underside of the tray doesn't have the same grain pattern as the top....

hrmph.

Mostly cosmetic from what I see. I don't see why you would have any problems if you make sure there are no loose splinters to snag something. As far as the wood can't make any determination from the photo given.

Tech said:
Mostly cosmetic from what I see. I don't see why you would have any problems if you make sure there are no loose splinters to snag something. As far as the wood can't make any determination from the photo given.
[snapback]263062[/snapback]​

Yeah I'll get better photos tonight. I just snapped this with my camera phone to get an opinion.

I really wish the tray wasn't all jacked up. I'm picky about that sort of stuff...

my solution would be to cover up that cosmetic flaw with some nice sticks :D

Nothing that a little sand paper should not be able to take of, so that it would not run the risk of "snagging" a wrapper.

OK I put a warm bowl of distilled water in my humi and re warmed it two more times over the course of 30 hours. I took out the bowl last night and the humi this morning is still at like 77-78%. I'm guessing if the cedar was still dried out it would have dropped significantly by now. I do have my 65% heartfelt beads in there as well. So hopefully those are hydrated from the seasoning process as well.

What should I do next? Just wait till it starts to level out in the 65ish area? Should I open the door for a while and let the humidity out and close it and see where it settles at?

I wouldn't sweat it, like Sunward said put some nice churchill sized cigas on that side of the tray and no problem! Enjoy, overall a nice looking humidor now start putting some cigars in it.

The cedar veneer on the plywood chipped when the slots were routed. It is aesthetically unappealing but should not effect the way it works.

Spanish Cedar is expensive and most of the humidors have spanish cedar veneer over MDF. This is most likely what you have. You can sand it, but be careful as MDF dust causes all sorts of bad stuff in the air. THough I doubt you will sand that rigorously.

Aside from that it looks like a nice humidor. I would make two comments that might help you out in the long run.

1) I can clearly see the corner hinges, though I can't see a piano hinge. If there is no piano hinge then that glass top is absoutely 100% going to rip those small hinges right out. I suggest that you open your box very gently or try to augment the hinges. If you have a piano hinge that I just can't see from the picture then you should be ok

2) Get a digital hygrometer. To put it as gentle as possible, analogs suck!

Good luck with the box.

Dave