• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gran Habano 3 Siglos Gran Robusto

sgates

Cigar: Gran Habano 3 Siglos Gran Robusto
Size: 6" X 54
Wrapper: Nicaraguan shade grown
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan corojo, criollo

This cigar cost me $6.65 at my local tinderbox B&M and I was anticipating lighting this up from the reviews I have heard in addition to my love for gran habano corojo at the price point you can easily obtain them at. The corojo is full bodied, one dimensional, but IMHO almost as good as RP sungrown's at a deap discount (i also buy RP seconds, but I digress).

This cigar was a very nice dark colorado colored wrapper with some heavy veins throughout. The cigar felt firm and heavy in my hand and smelled of heady tobacco at the foot of the cigar. The appearance of the cap was rather strange. Looking at the other cigars in the box, they all had an attemted triple cap (some better than others) that are pressed flat as a coin - they are very strange looking, but nice indeed. There were no soft spots & I was slightly worried that this wouldn't draw since it felt so hard throughout the cigar. However, upon cutting it with my xikar I found that it drew perfectly with some heavy spice on the lips and wonderful flavor. Inspecting the cap, it was rather well made, but the cap popping off looked like a bottle cap it was pressed so flat. I kind of liked the overall look of the flat head - while not cuban, it was still a nice appearing cap that I found interesting (i.e. a chisel head shape or something that just has an overall attractiveness to it). The two bands were quite attractive with silver and white accents.

P1000025.JPG

Upon lighting, the cigar started with a burst of spice and heady tobacco on the palatte without any harshness. The first quarter of the cigar maintaned this same profile with some increasing sweet spice as the cigar drew on. The sweet smelling, volumious smoke was a nice touch and the ash was slightly flaky, but by no means a disappointment.

P1000028.JPG

The second quarter of the cigar got even sweeter, with some nice maduro notes and spice that was VERY reminiscent of a CAO brazilia. Smoking this cigar, I couldn't think that Gran Habano had actually improved on the brazilia blend with this (I am a fan of the GOL! size).

P1000029.JPG

The ash held on past an inch, and a preemptive ash was required in case it decided to fall into my lap. The oils on the wrapper were glistening throughout, and a nice black band below the ash appeared. The burn was razor sharp and the flavor was still a nice sweet touch, but some earthy and wood notes started to come through.

P1000031.JPG

P1000032.JPG

P1000035.JPG

P1000036.JPG

The final portion of this cigar was getting decidely full bodied after the entire cigar was more medium - full. The earth and wood notes started to dominate, mixed with some leather and tobacco again. I nubbed this cigar and kept thinking that this was a more complex and decidedly superior CAO brazilia. I will definitely contemplate getting a box of these cigars and would recommend them highly.

Seth :thumbs:

Sweet, I'm glad to see a review on one of these. I've started seeing them around lately, and had been wondering if they were worth the price jump over the #5's. Looks like a sampler may be in order. :thumbs:

Sweet, I'm glad to see a review on one of these. I've started seeing them around lately, and had been wondering if they were worth the price jump over the #5's. Looks like a sampler may be in order. :thumbs:

Absolutely!

I had one of these about a week ago and it was just acrid. I think, given the reviews these are getting, that it was just a bad stick - but I couldn't smoke more than an inch of that thing.

Very nice review! :thumbs:

Istn't it a new one from GH family?

I had one of these cigars a few weeks ago and found it to be a pleasant smoke. I am not sure the flavor profile is something that will keep me coming back over and over again. Peter, you probably just had a bad stick. Give it another try but I am betting you will be in the same camp as me.

Very nice review! :thumbs:

Istn't it a new one from GH family?

Yes - they didn't come out too long ago and received something like a 92 from CA (2 pages from a full page Gran Habano layout :laugh: )

Hey TYFNS:

some of the VERY early boxes may have been packed while there was still a varnish smell which effected the cigars. I had a few like that and acrid was the right word. Humi time out of the box and out of the cello helped alot, and later boxes were no problem at all. Worth another shot IMHO.

Thanks for the great review! :thumbs:

I almost bought a box of these cigars yesterday but found something I wanted more. (Mr. Wolf knows what I mean. ;) )

This happens too damn often! :D Too many cigars and not enough time OR money. :p

Got one of these in my CI Cigar of the month club, in the Robusto size (5x52). After reading the reviews it is one I am looking forward to. Some of the other I received was the Punch Rare Corojo (5.1x54); S.T. Dupont from the original Spain factory (4.75x50) and the mainstream Macanudo Robust Hyde Park (5.5x49)

The only one I have had is the Macanudo (Who hasn't).

Good review.

I really enjoy the 3 siglos line. I am def getting a box before x-mas time :)

3 Siglos Churchills were one of my main go-to cigars in AIT, surprisingly good smokes. :thumbs: