• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Guess the Vitola

The linear purple date code is interesting, it eliminates that as a sign since Strayvector is sure of his source. What's the consensus here? That it's a fake cigar but there's no visual indication from the packaging and presentation until it's cut open? Or that it's most likely a poor example of a cigar?

I don't really think it's fake, but it's pretty strange to see short filler.

There was an article I read a few months back that comes to mind...

----------snippet-------------
In search of the real thing, a box of authentic Cuban cigars for sale in
Canada, we arbitrarily picked Calgary and a reputable dealer who buys all
his Cuban cigars in good faith from Havana House, the legitimate supplier
in Toronto. We bought a box of 25 Monte Cristo cigars, the most popular
brand in the world. Completely sealed, with all the right stamps certifying
its authenticity, we paid the full price of $420 plus taxes. We got the
number two man in charge of world distribution in Cuba to pick a cigar at
random. He declared it a fake.

When we asked Abel Ortuo of Havana House about this box of cigars, he
smoked one, which he said was the real thing. The other cigar, he said,
didn't belong to that box at all. Although he doesn't know where the switch
could have occurred, he suggested it could have occurred at the factory
before the box was sealed.
--------snippet-----------------

The article can be found over at vitolas.net....Linky

The theme seems about right in this case, enough volume flows through and maybe some odd stuff gets passed through.

It stuns me though that I can't detect anything wrong with the box or cigars until you smoke one.

It also occurs to me that you can't accidentally get short filler in a cuban cigar, because short filler has to be rolled in with a machine.

\

September 07: 100% Real.

If I had to judge from the facts mate, I would say you have a fake. That is an atrocious amount of short filler, and no D4 I have ever had has contained any shredded leaf whatsoever. I have a nasty habit of dissecting/peeling my finished cigar, and I can certainly say that it's all long filler in the PSD4 without a doubt. Every time.

\

If I had to judge from the facts mate, I would say you have a fake. That is an atrocious amount of short filler, and no D4 I have ever had has contained any shredded leaf whatsoever. I have a nasty habit of dissecting/peeling my finished cigar, and I can certainly say that it's all long filler in the PSD4 without a doubt. Every time.

Based on the vendor if this information is correct, his box is definitely not fake.

\

Based on the vendor if this information is correct, his box is definitely not fake.

It seems like the cigar is fake but the vendor and box is real. So, either the vendor has turned to supplementing their funding by pushing fakes or it's occuring somewhere n the distribution channel.

Oh well.

I would hate to think of the Partagas Factory turning out short filler sticks like the one you encountered. Maybe a rebel roller pocketed the good smoke and shoved a short-filler in it's place :D?

Either that or something fishy happened somewhere. Could you PM the name of the distributor you purchased from dagoR6?

Update:

Went over to my buddy's house last night, after the Hennessy's Cigar Social, and ended up cracking open a box of his PSD4's from 2005 for extensive analysis. First of all, boxes are 100% identical in every way, except for the date code. I'm inclined to think the date code is okay since it's a valid code and I've never seen a fake with a perfect box. Second, bands are identical, vitola size is identical with no more than 1mm variance in length and same ring size.

Cigar construction was identical, inside and out. I dissected two more cigars in the box and neither had short filler. Foot, roll and head were identical. Two exceptions, mine were darker than his (3 year gap though) and the interior leaf was much darker and heavier, we weighed both cigars and mine were nearly universal at 20 grams, which his were nearly universal at 10 grams.

you know at this point you are just driving yourself crazy, how many sticks have you cut up for the need to find out if it is real or not. And everything you find points to authenticity but u still went cut up more.

what if the roller that day was hung over and didnt want to do his job, we all have those days but in order to make his roll count he went and made some crappy ones just to 'getter don'

smoke em all and see which ones smoked good and which didnt and have fun doing it

my .02 (worth -8.95)

I wasn't stressed out at first, I just posted up to say look at this crazy damn stick I got in my box, then everyone starts chiming in " you got hosed!" and it sticks in your mind.it's like someone saying " I saw your girlfriend across town at a club with some dude, I think"

I wasn't stressed out at first, I just posted up to say look at this crazy damn stick I got in my box, then everyone starts chiming in " you got hosed!" and it sticks in your mind.it's like someone saying " I saw your girlfriend across town at a club with some dude, I think"

I saw your girlfriend across town at a club with some dude, I thinkhttp://www.liquidgeneration.com/blog/lohan/uploaded_images/jessicafat-716607.jpg

Damn, it wasn't between 8pm and 10pm was it? She was working late. Did the guy look like he was from Spain? Or Switzerland?

I remember seeing something similar before, it was when I asked my aunt and uncle to obtain a couple of cohibas when they visited la merida. the specimens where contained inside a "glass" top container. This was when I was really just starting to enjoy the leaf and I had not done enough research to guide my aunt and uncle to reputable stores. I tore apart the sticks after a stubborn attempt to light them, they wouldn't even light.

Peace, Ceasar

I don't know, looks pretty short to be machine made short filler.

It's totalamente a mano.

Why cut the ends?

Also ...is it Machine Bunched and Hand Finished?

I only cut the cap off. The foot separated when I took the binder off

I don't think it's Machine bunched, it's a mainline Cuban that you would normally smoke and appreciate. Machine bunched is just a few of them iirc, like the romeo 1/2/3 or something? And they're never totalmente a mano, their Tripia corda or something? Haven't seen the term in awhile.

Fakes are often stuffed with short filler as well.