• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gumbo de Mayeux

MX

Quietly getting back into the cigar culture.....
This is pretty much the recipe that I use. You will notice there are no amounts, well thats because I don't know them.

taste, fix, repete....

2 gallons water
roux (more if you want it thicker and richer, and vice versa)
bell pepper, chopped
cloves garlic, minced
Okra, cut
shrimp
lump crab meat (gulf coast if you can find it)
boiled chicken cut up
celery
large onions, chopped
Tomatoes, chopped, crushed, diced, whatever....
Sausage (use whatever good firm sausage you can find. Many people use deer sausage or andouille(this is the best) when these are available.)
scallions, chopped, tops only
parsley, chopped
salt
black pepper
cayenne
Hot sauce
File

Roux: To make the the roux all you need are equal parts oil/flour. Do not use olive oil, it breaks down and burns. I like bacon grease it works the best for me. I like a thick hearty gumbo so I use a lot of roux and cook it pretty dark. So here it is......melt 1/4 grease or oil with 1/4 cup of flour, whisk, whisk, whisk, then whisk some more over a medium low heat. This takes a while, but is worth it. My dad always said cook it until you think it is done then cook it for 10 more minutes. You are looking for a light to medium brown color. I go for the darker end of the medium brown, but any time after it gets the color of peanut butter will be fine.

While the roux is cooking bring the water up to a slow boil....

After you get the roux to the color you like add the holy trinity ( celery, onions, bell pepper) and garlic; sauté until the onions start to clear. Transfer the mix to the water and stir until the roux is dissolved, when completely dissolved the water will foam a bit. Add half the tomatoes and dry seasonings,, and let simmer for about 30 min.

Then add the rest of the tomatoes and the sausage let simmer for about 10 min
Then add the chicken and simmer for about 10 min
Then add anything that is left and simmer for the last 10 min.

Serve over rice, a nice crusty French bread, and a cold beer.

Hope you enjoy

If some thing does not make seem right, just let me know,Ii am writing this from memory and may have missed a step that I know needs to be done in my head.

Tim

Thanks Tim, I have been looking for a good gumbo recipe to try!

Sounds remarkably similar to my recipe. I make my own Roux... NEVER !!!! buy store bought... One tip to you beginner Roux makers is to keep is slow and low. You can easily burn your Roux and then the Gumbo will taste like burnt flour. I agree with Tim; it should look like the color of peanut butter for decent results, if you have the patience, get it as dark as possible. Beware as I have taken upwards of 4 hours to create my Roux.

Sounds remarkably similar to my recipe. I make my own Roux... NEVER !!!! buy store bought...

I think my Grandfather just rolled over in his grave.....

I have never tried store bought, but I have hear that it aint all bad.

Tim

Tim...

I spent about a dozen years VERY close to the LA border while in the service and learned from the best. I have tried the "Roux-in-a-jar" and your right, it's not too bad, BUT Gumbo (IMO) is a work of art and you can't make a Picasso with crayons.

Tim...

I spent about a dozen years VERY close to the LA border while in the service and learned from the best. I have tried the "Roux-in-a-jar" and your right, it's not too bad, BUT Gumbo (IMO) is a work of art and you can't make a Picasso with crayons.

Truer words were never spoke....

Tim