• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gurkha Genghis Khan Toro

mostholycerebus

6.0 x 50
Dominican and Honduran
Costa Rican maduro wrapper
$30/five pack (averages $25 on c-bid)

Got my replacement toros yesterday (about half the churchills in my chest were damaged in shipping) and had to light one up on tonites stroll. Pulling it out of the wrapper, the first thing I noticed was the beautiful wrapper. An extremely dark black/brown, the coloring was very even with moderate small veining. Squeezing it a little, the cigar was dense and evenly packed. I have seen better caps, but not on too many cigars, this one was slightly wrinkled. Overall the construction of this stick is top-notch, a joy to look at and feel. Sniffing the stick produced that maduro-strong cedary smell, but this also had a barely discernable sweet-like smell to it. Lightup went well, and from the beginning the burn was perfect. Not even a hint of a run. Throughout the experience, this was one of the most evenly-burning cigars i've smoked. It also was one of the slowed burning. Normally, I take big drags and burn through cigars relatively quickly (to keep them burning, IMO probably because my humi beads are at 70%). This one lasted a rather long time however.

The taste at first was very slightly harsh, like most new cigars. I think a few months will solve this, but this was the quickest 'new' cigar i've smoked to change from harsh to smooth, just a few seconds. The rest of the smoke was wonderful. The constant and recognizable taste was a strong peppery taste, a bit to strong to call it an undertone. Rather, other flavors became the cigars undertone, and changed through the length of the cigar. At first, I was not impressed, it tasted like any other cheap/decent cigar + pepper and great construction. But when the 2nd third hit, I literally stopped what I was doing and too a long look at this baby. Smooth creaminess came out of nowhere, perplexed my palate and transformed this cigar into a great stick. Sadly, the creaminess slacked off soon, but a medely of other tastes began to cycle over my tounge.

Towards the end, taste changes continued, and the sweetness picked up a little. I was suprised to find that this 'gar did not turn more harsh towards the final 6th, it continued to go strong. Normally I put a young 'gar down during the last third when it gets harsh, as I don't want that bitterness to taint the experience for me, but this is one of the few that I nubbed.

Ash was strong, it fell just twice on my walk, and was dense and dark. The ash didn't have an even color, rather it looked like a smeared newspaper, light gray with varying dark-grey blotched and lines. Appealing to look at. Smoke was thick, pure white, and voluminous. Draw was, perfect, not too easy, not too difficult.

One difference from the official text, I did not find this cigar to be as 'medium bodied' as suggested. While it was not mild, it was not as strong as the average 'medium-bodied' maduro either. I found this perfect for my tastes, as a n00b the medium-to-strong cigars are a little rough on my undeveloped palate. Veterans might find this cigar weak for their tastes, but I feel the flavors and exceptional construction should overcome this. (as an aside, with the name 'Genghis Khan' was really expecting this to knock me on my ass. Glad it didn't though)

I'll add a few differences I noted from the (single, too-wet) churchill I smoked: The churchills' wrapper was mildly blochy, the toros' was even in color. The churchill smelled like dusty cardboard, the toro like a finely crafted sweet maduro with a cedar background. The churchills' cap was somewhat sloppy, the toros' was very well done. In all I think this is an excellent cigar, but the packaging design of the churchill (shipped loose in a large painted box) means that they soak up the scent of paint, bang around in a large box during shipping, and the larger size makes perfect construction more difficult. Overall I would highly suggest the toro over the churchill, but I suspect a few months in a stocked humidor would help the churchills.

I highly reccomend this cigar to practically anyone who enjoys maduros. Wish I could describe the exact tatses better, but my experience and palate are not there yet. ;)

6.0 x 50
Dominican and Honduran
Costa Rican maduro wrapper

Got my replacement toros yesterday (about half the churchills in my chest were damaged in shipping) and had to light one up on tonites stroll. Pulling it out of the wrapper, the first thing I noticed was the beautiful wrapper. An extremely dark black/brown, the coloring was very even with moderate small veining. Squeezing it a little, the cigar was dense and evenly packed. I have seen better caps, but not on too many cigars, this one was slightly wrinkled. Overall the construction of this stick is top-notch, a joy to look at and feel. Sniffing the stick produced that maduro-stromg cedary smell, but this also had a barely discernable sweet-like smell to it. Lightup went well, and from the beginning the burn was perfect. Not even a hint of a run. Throughout the experience, this was one of the most evenly-burning cigars i've smoked. It also was one of the slowed burning. Normally, I take big drags and burn through cigars relatively quickly (to keep them burning, IMO probably because my humi beads are at 70%). This one lasted a rather long time however.

The taste at first was very slightly harsh. like most new cigars. I think a few months will solve this, but this was the quickest 'new' cigar i've smoked to change from harsh to smooth. The rest of the smoke was wonderful. The constant and recognizable taste was a strong peppery taste, a bit to strong to call it an undertone. Rather, other flavors became the cigars undertone, and changed through the length of the cigar. At first, I was not impressed, it tasted like any other cheap/decet cigar + pepper and great construction. But when the 2nd third hit, I literally stopped what I was doing and too a long look at this baby. Smooth creaminess came out of nowhere, perplexed my palate and transformed this cigar into a great stick. Sadly, the creaminess slacked off soon, but a medely of other tastes began to cycle over my tounge.

Towards the end, taste changes continued, and the sweetness picked up a little. I was suprised to find that this 'gar did not turn more harsh towards the final 6th, it continued to go strong. Normally I put a young 'gar down during the last third when it gets harsh, as I don't want that bitterness to taint the experience for me, but this is one of the few that I nubbed.

Ash was strong, it fell just twice on my walk, and was dense and dark. The ash didn't have an even color, rather it looked like a smeared newspaper, light gray with varying dark-grey blotched and lines. Appealing to look at. Smoke was thick, pure white, and voluminous. Draw was, perfect, not too easy, not too difficult.

One difference from the official text, I did not find this cigar to be as 'medium bodied' as suggested. While it was not mild, it was not as strong as the average 'medium-bodied' cigar either. I found this perfect for my tastes, as a n00b the medium-to-strong cigars are a little rough on my undeveloped palate. Veterans might find this cigar weak for their tastes, but I feel the flavors and exceptional construction should overcome this. (as an aside, with the name 'Genghis Khan' was really expecting this to knock me on my ass. Glad it didn't though)

I'll add a few differences I noted from the (single, too-wet) churchill I smoked: The churchills' wrapper was mildly blochy, the toros' was even in color. The churchill smelled like dusty cardboard, the toro like a finely crafted sweet maduro with a cedar background. The churchills' cap was somewhat sloppy, the toros' was very well done. In all I think this is an excellent cigar, but the packaging design of the churchill (shipped loose in a large painted box) means that they soak up the scent of paint, bang around in a large box during shipping, and the larger size makes perfect construction more difficult. Overall I would highly suggest the toror over the churchill, but I suspect a few months in a stocked humidor would help the churchills.

I highly reccomend this cigar to practically anyone who enjoys maduros.

Killer review! Nice job. :)

Nice review, i think it's time to bring one these puppies out to try, thans BOONDOGGLE.

Had one the other night and it was good Poker cigar! Burned slow and lasted about an 1-1/2 hours. :cool:

Haven't had my churchhill yet, but I really enjoyed the toro. Good smoke IMO.

Very similar experience that you had.

Excellent review,this is one I have not tried but really am looking foward to trying.

Again thanks for the great review.