• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gustav

BIG AL74

I was watching the news and they mentioned Gustav was over cuba's cigar country . How bad of an impact will hurricane Gustav have on future cuban tobacco ? Not that I smoke em or anything. :whistling:

LINK

All the reports seem to be quoting the same sources. This article said that bales of tobacco were moved before the storm hit Cuba. But the fact remains, the Western most areas were the hardest hit....including the Pinar del Rio province, where some of the best tobacco is grown.

Many people were hurt...but thank God no one was killed. It's still too early to tell the extent of the damage....even the Cuban News Service is slow to report the destruction.

Cuba's top meteorologist, José Rubiera, said the hurricane's massive center hit the country's mainland near the community of Los Palacios in Pinar del Rio -- a region that produces much of the tobacco used to make Cuba's famed cigars.
Washington Post.

So yeah it might just have an effect on future cigars.

I wonder how long the flavor will be affected.

I know when Ivan came through here, even this far inland, it changed the flavor of tomatoes for 2 years in the areas with the worst flooding.

Tomatoes from those low-lying areas had a really bitter taste to them, and still don't taste as good as tomatoes grown in other parts of the county.