• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

H. Upmann Magnum 46

flamchop

65/65
I was given two of these smokes in a trade a while back. This is the first Mag 46 I've smoked.

The oily, light brown wrapper had no major flaws, although it felt fairly soft to the touch. The bunch was even and the pre-light smell didn't have much more than a tobacco smell to it.

After torching, I noticed a perfect draw with lots of creamy smoke. Fresh tobacco flavor with hints of cedar and maybe a little spice. The light gray ash was strong at first but got pretty flaky after about an inch or so. For the most part this smoke had a good burn, nice and even without much touching up. The cigar is definitely way on the mild side for my tastes... but still was fairly pleasant to smoke.

After the halfway point the flavors picked up some more, with some spice and wood. But for the most part... stayed very mild. I did enjoy this cigar and I know a lot of people love them, but I have to say there just wasn't enough there for me. I have another one to smoke some day, and I'll compare my notes on that one to this one and see if some more age does something to these!

I find these to be a bit mild as well, but as you said plenty of good flavors. I smoked one about a week ago and the last third of the smoke was fantastic IMO. Just hate having to smoke three quarters to get to the sweet spot. Great review Mike, love the pics!

These were stronger than I thought they'd be. I'd rate them a solid medium. I'm a fan of medium to full bodied, too, and these fit right into the rotation (the half-box that I've had). :)

I hope these aren't mild . . . I just ordered a box of them.

I would consider them mild to mostly medium bodied. A great tasting cigar nonetheless...I would gladly take a 5'er if you feel they are too mild for you. :D

I would rate these on the lighter side of medium. I still enjoy them, just reach for them when I'm in a lighter mood.

Upmann Mag46s have lost their way a bit in the last 5 or so years. I have some from '02 that are phenomenal, but they haven't been impressive from '03 onward. I did buy some '06 Mag46s and I hope they pick up after a few more years of napping.

I have some Mag46's from '04 and have enjoyed them.

I am almost out which means I need to buy more, along with some H. Upmann #2's, Epi #2's, RC's, and Mag50's

Upmann Mag46s have lost their way a bit in the last 5 or so years. I have some from '02 that are phenomenal, but they haven't been impressive from '03 onward. I did buy some '06 Mag46s and I hope they pick up after a few more years of napping.
I have to agree with your opinion here Rob. I recently gave up on a box of early '06s that I thought weren't going to get any better with age. When I would periodically pull one out to sample, they just weren't headed in the right direction for my taste....strength aside.

My buddy that took them, thought the opposite.

Great review Mike...very sound assessment.