• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

H. Upmann No. 100

FatherTiresius

Watcher of the Skies
Last Friday at my local tobacconist there was a special promo of H. Upmann cigars so me & my bud Neil went down to see what it was all about. Never had tried one and had always wanted to. When we got there we found that just for walking in you got a No. 100 for free and you get another for every 2 Upmanns you buy. Plus all the Altadis lines were 10% off. So I got a few Upmann Annies (know nothing about them....yet) some RyJ's, and a few other things. (They just got a new box of VSG Belicosos...w00t! )

The smoking room was way crowded so Neil and I went back to my place, lit up on my front porch and watched the sun go down over the Rockies. Frankly, I wasn't expecting a whole lot, but immediately I was impressed with the cigar. The construction was good, the draw nearly perfect and it produced tons of smoke. The wrapper had oodles of tooth and it was on the light side of medium-bodied. The first third was enjoyable, not overly complex, but a very solid smoke. However the middle started to develop a very nice hazelnut flavor. Now I'm usually not one to find a lot of flavors in a cigar other than tobacco, but I definately picked up the hazelnut clear as a bell. It stayed smooth and creamy until I got down past the band. Then it finally got a bit harsh and started to run a bit so I let it go.

Overall, a good solid robusto. Not gonna knock you over with complexity nor will it kick you in the ass with power, but a very pleasant cigar, I thought. I wouldn't recommend it after a big meal, but should make a decent afternoon/early-evening smoke.

Curious to see what you guys think about it, and ditto for the Upmann Anniversary. (Most of these went into the cooler for long-term aging, but I did stick one in my on-deck 'dor.)

MMmmm hazelnut.

Sounds like a winner to me. Been wondering about those. Glad to see a good review..

-Tony