• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

H. Upmann Sir Winston(97)

ParaGod

Semper Fi
I just smoked my last 97 Sir Winston :( . If you have never had one of these beautiful cigars, I shall try to share with you my experience with this fine example of Cuban craftsmanship. The cigar was nicely packaged and overall the cigar was a beautiful mahogany color, with a subtle sheen to the outer wrap.

I used a v-cut and the draw was perfect, with a slight resistance to the draw. I went out to my patio with my cigar and a glass of Ambassador 25 y/o scotch, while listening to Pink Floyd(You can listen to whatever you want, but Floyd just sounded great with this gar). I toasted the gar with a torch lighter and after I had a nice ash, I started my experience.

The first draw was creamy cocoa with a hint of coffee. I did not taste any bitterness nor any aftertaste, except a slight taste of cinnamon(yep I can spell too. ) The 1/3 of the smoke had a very smooth and cool draw with voluminous amounts of light gray smoke. The aroma lingered long afterwards.

The 2/3 of the smoke was pretty much the same as the first except I tasted notes of citrus and more earthy notes.

The last and final third :( :( of the smoke was as good if not better than the first third, I tasted notes of spice and more rich cream flavor.

Overall I found that this is above and beyond my most favorite cigar. I have tried a large amount of cigars both domestic and otherwise .

Now onto the scoring.

Construction: 9 out of 10

Appearance: 9 out of 10

Flavor: 10 out of 10

Strength: 6.5 out of 10

Aroma: 10 out of 10 (rich and earthy with hints of cedar and spice)

Draw: 10 out of 10 (perfect)

Finish: 10 out of 10 (Very Complex and smooth)

Value: 10 out of 10 (This is relative to what your taste is)

Overall: 10 out of 10 (This cigar is the Holy Grail of quality cigars, it is subtle and complex without being overbearing. I would associate it to a nice aged Bordeaux wine.)

Now I know there is some new Cuban cigar smokers out there that will see this review and say that this is the cigar for me. I would recommend that you do not get this cigar until you have trained your palate. This cigar is very complex and subtle. If you have not had high quality or very many Cuban cigars, I would say hold off for awhile. If you have the palate and the hunger for outstanding Cuban cigars, than look no further

Excellent review PG. I love the Sir Winstons and you make an excellent point here:
I would recommend that you do not get this cigar until you have trained your palate. This cigar is very complex and subtle. If you have not had high quality or very many Cuban cigars, I would say hold off for awhile. If you have the palate and the hunger for outstanding Cuban cigars, than look no further
I couldn't have said it better myself :thumbs: