• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

H. Upmann Super Corona

stepthirteen

Either get busy living, or get busy dying
As most of you can see I am making an effort to log some reviews on cigars. I think it is a valuable tool for others in the community and will help them decide whether they would like to give the cigar a try or not. I am by no means a cigar master, but I do have an opportunity to review some sticks that are interesting, so there you go.

HUppmanSuperCorona1.jpg

Up now is the discontinued 2002 H Upmann Super Corona. I have to say that this has been one of my favorites since acquiring my first from Phil’s (Insight) pass a few years ago. The cigar is beautiful. The wrapper is brown almost like milk chocolate. I like the look of this cigar. Score = 9.75.

The cigar clipped very nicely and did not squish like some cigars. Construction is top notch and the prelight draw is not tight, but certainly is not loose. There does not appear to be any soft spots in the cigar and I am ready to fire this bad boy up. Score = 9.75.

As I light this gem I am rewarded with lots of full smoke to analyze. I immediately notice a flash of java and chocolate. This cigar is complex and as I continue to analyze I notice fruitiness that compliments the other flavors. This cigar is certainly strong, but not overpowering. I love the size of this cigar and it lends well to flavor profile and smoke production. About half way through I notice an earthy flavor that was a surprise to me. Honestly I did not like this flavor shift and would have much preferred a consistent starting flavor experience. Score = 9.0

HUppmanSuperCorona2.jpg

Overall this cigar started out phenomenal, but it did shift and I have to downgrade the score as result. I will not quit smoking these, but I hope the next one I smoke is better. Score = 9.5

Jim

If they started producing these again I would probably smoke them 90% of the time... nom nom nom

Glad it smoked well for you Jim! The one SC I had was plugged all to Hell, couldn't get anywhere even with the draw tools. But, I bet it was a great smoke! :D

Glad it smoked well for you Jim! The one SC I had was plugged all to Hell, couldn't get anywhere even with the draw tools. But, I bet it was a great smoke! :D

That is one of the things that scares me about Cubans. I have two of these from some year that I have yet to smoke.

Glad it smoked well for you Jim! The one SC I had was plugged all to Hell, couldn't get anywhere even with the draw tools. But, I bet it was a great smoke!
biggrin.gif

That is one of the things that scares me about Cubans. I have two of these from some year that I have yet to smoke.
....and there you have it.

When they are "on", ISOM's can be wonderful smokes. Can't tell you how many "tent pegs" I've thrown out over the years. Lots, trust me on that.

I'm not sure if the risk justifies the rewards, frankley.

One man's opinion - B.B.S.

So you have the hookup for 02 HU supercoronas? :D