• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Had my first cigar with a loose draw

dk_ace

I decided to re-visit the AF line. AF was my first cigar, and the particular one I smoked was basically just spice, too mild, and had burn issues. I've been able to experience quite a few smokes since then and decided to give them another chance after reading so much good about them. I picked up a SG Cuban Belicoso.

The wrapper looked good even though it had some pretty big veins. The pre-light draw let me know that I hadn't given AF enough of a chance. It had a distinct tobacco sweetness with a hint of spice. I was really excited about it, so I lit it up. The flavor was true to the pre-light, and the smoke was pretty creamy. It wasn't as creamy as the HDM Excalibur (a personal favorite), but it was definately a note-worthy characteristic. Within a few minutes I noticed a problem though.

The draw was very loose. So loose that I was taking in a lot of air and getting very little smoke. It wasn't quite like sucking on a straw, but there wasn't much resistance at all. It seemed like it was taking forever to smoke it. This was pretty disappointing since it was one of the better tasting cigars I've had my hands on in a while. It took way too long to smoke, so I nubbed it after I had just started into the last third. It's really too bad, because that would have been a great smoke with a better draw.

I'm still not giving up on AF though. While I was checking out the B&M owner convinced me I should try the Don Carlos line as well, but those are a little pricey for me at the moment. I might give them a shot in a few weeks.

D

Don't give up on 'em yet! There is bound to be one or two that you absolutely fall in love with.

The Cuban Beli is one of my favorite cigars. It sound like you either got a dud, or you clipped it too far down. I clip mine only as far down so that the whole is the size of the punch I use on flat headed cigars. I will suggest that you give the Cuban beli another try, as for the money it is truly a great cigar.

Man, I feel for you bro' in regards to too easy a draw. Anyone ever notice how some Greycliffs are like that? The first Greycliff I ever smoked was rolled to loosely and it was like sucking through a straw. I was absolutely turned off by this. I've had other Greycliffs that were similar, but not nearly as bad as the one that had more gaps than filler.

Does anyone know what one can do to create a tighter draw (if something like that can even be achieved)?

However, on topic ( :whistling: ) I agree with everyone else here.... Fuentes kick ass and keep on plugging (no pun intended) away on those. I'm a huuuuge lover too!

Darren

An AF with a loose draw? First time I've heard that complaint. Don't give up on the SG's. Damn good cigar IMO. And I'm not a big Fuente fan.

Doc.

Whenever that happens, you just have to put pressure on them with a tool such as this:

1112666775cleavage.jpg