• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Haier vs. Vinotemp

chewbacco

darkside looks appealing...
realized that I need to deal with my heat issue...the summer months are killer for me.

My temp rises to 90 degrees in my apt on really hot days.

So, I just purchased a Vinotemp 28-count wine fridge from Target...but I do notice this plastic smell that everyone has complained about.

I'm worried that this smell either won't go away, or will take a long time to disappear.

I noticed that the BOTLs that have Haier wine fridges have not had this problem.
I also noticed that the Haier fridges are not lined with this smelly plastic.

I'm thinking of returning the Vinotemp and purchasing a Haier instead.

Any thoughts, advice?

realized that I need to deal with my heat issue...the summer months are killer for me.

So, I just purchased a Vinotemp 28-count wine fridge from Target...but I do notice this plastic smell that everyone has complained about.

I'm worried that this smell either won't go away, or will take a long time to disappear.

I noticed that the BOTLs that have Haier wine fridges have not had this problem.

Any thoughts, advice?

How about some baking soda for a few days to pull the stink out?

Any thoughts, advice?

How about some baking soda for a few days to pull the stink out?

Yeah, read about using baking soda...but wasn't able to determine if the smell goes away (or if it goes away in a decent amount of time).

I need to use it now, due to the hot summer weather.

Anyone have experience with both fridges?

Just send me all your stash and I'll store in the Northeast for you :whistling:

Try putting your cigars in one of your closets it should be at least 10 degrees cooler than the rest of your apartment until you can resolve the smell issue.

I have not used either cooler, Lucky for me it does not get the hot in Iraq during the summer........

But really, I just placed my stash in my wall locker, that would be a closet for you, and covered the humidors with a thick towel, then placed a few frozen bottles of water on them. Keeps the temp around 65 degrees.

Tim

I have the Vinotemp and I wiped down with soapy baking soda water and left the door open. Smell gone in 1 day.

The Haiers do not seem to emit that annoying plastic odor. However, they generally employ compressors and you will have to place a fan or two inside to circulate the interior humidity around. On the "pro" side, they will go up to 65 degrees naturally and won't require any thermostat tweeking.

They all have their pros and cons.

all your answers have helped...except tone-ny

hahaha

My closets are non-existent.
So, I'm out of luck there.

As for the pros and cons of each:

- didn't know the Haier does not have a fan
- the Haier uses a compressor (rather than that thermoplate)

Thanks everyone for their input.
I'm gonna keep the vinotemp for now...and try to get rid of that smell.

all your answers have helped...except tone-ny

hahaha

My closets are non-existent.
So, I'm out of luck there.

As for the pros and cons of each:

- didn't know the Haier does not have a fan
- the Haier uses a compressor (rather than that thermoplate)

Thanks everyone for their input.
I'm gonna keep the vinotemp for now...and try to get rid of that smell.

Good choice, wipe the inside down with a baking soda water solution, plug the drain hole in the back. and buy the beads. The only thing you have to do after that is open it to get sticks in and out. Easy.

If the baking soda doesn't cut it try coffee grounds. It's pretty good at clearing odors in enclosed spaces.. You may have to deal with the coffee smell I suspect. :laugh:

Update:

after 3~4 days of baking soda caked onto the plastic inside the fridge...the smell seemed to go away.

I just happened to leave it that way, I didn't have time to deal with it.

After wiping the baking soda off with a sponge -- and leaving it open to dry -- I started testing the temp and humidity inside the fridge.

I left it running for about 1~2 hours...and found how much the fridge sensor and my oregonscientific sensor differ (~5 degrees F).

So, finally got my cigar boxes in the fridge...got about 20~24 boxes stuffed in there.

The temp and humidity is pretty stable...+/- 3 degrees.

The fridge is working pretty well for me.

Update:

after 3~4 days of baking soda caked onto the plastic inside the fridge...the smell seemed to go away.

I just happened to leave it that way, I didn't have time to deal with it.

After wiping the baking soda off with a sponge -- and leaving it open to dry -- I started testing the temp and humidity inside the fridge.

I left it running for about 1~2 hours...and found how much the fridge sensor and my oregonscientific sensor differ (~5 degrees F).

So, finally got my cigar boxes in the fridge...got about 20~24 boxes stuffed in there.

The temp and humidity is pretty stable...+/- 3 degrees.

The fridge is working pretty well for me.

this means nothing without any picks...

I just bought a vinotemp today, It's been running for 3 hours and still hasn't cooled down past 70.. hum.