• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Has something gotten into my cigars?

Kryo

Pyro first, smoke second
Last night, I had a Olivia Master Blend, my first. I liked the flavors it was putting off but some acidic bite and flavor was messing up the whole smoke from start to finish. I was also having burn problems, the wrapper would not stay lit. Stuck it out and smoked most of it.

Tonight, after the bad Olivia I wanted something really good, so a PAM 26' was on the menu. Two different smokes, yet the wierd bite was there too. Got stronger the longer I smoked it. Also about 3/4 the way down it had the same damn issue with the wrapper.

Both smokes have been sitting inside my coolerdor loose and not in any box. The Olivia had cellophane on it, the Padron did not. Padron was in there about 4 weeks, the Olivia 2.

Do you guys think there might be some sort of wierd fume coming off the cooler or maybe the humidifying beads? I thought maybe the taste was from the Olivia being too young... the Padron is aged over 4 years from the factory... seems fishy to me.

Could some of the younger cigars in the cooler be giving off amonia and throwing of the tastes of the others? Its getting opened at least 3 or 4 times a week.

Help..... :(

not that I know anything but you might be getting a cold, allergies, etc that is throwing off you tastes. Just an idea.

What RH are you storing your 'gars at? Non-ISOMs shouldn't have any problem with RH up to 70% but can get funky if stored over 70% RH. I store ALL my cigars at between 63% - 67% RH and they are fine... I'd recommend checking you RH as a starting point. Of course... the cigars could be "sick"... all cigars can go thru this phase... not just ISOMs.

Aloha,

Wade

Im using 65% climmax beads so my humidity is staying in the same range. Tried thinking of possible sources of stuff that could have gotten in there.. It could be some sort of carpet air freshner stuff or maybe a scented candle?

Im just overly worried something is going on in there and ruining my cigars. ???

Ive never had a Padron taste that bad before.. and it came from a 1926 PAM. :(

Going to try something tonight. Bought 3 of a certian type 2 weeks ago along with the Olivia. I had one right away so I know what that tasted like straight from the store. IF this same funny taste shows up the whole cooler full might be sunk.

Hmmm...

Maybe you should wash down the inside of your cooler w/ distilled water and some FOG approved cleaning substance.

That said, I often wonder about what plastic is doing to us. It wouldn't surprise me if it ends up being the asbestos of our generations. Everyone thinks it's fine, and it turns out to be what is killing all of us. Ah, conspiracy theory. Pay me no mind.

At-any-rate, quarantine your cigars! Get em' out of there and into an environment that you know is clean and OK. They'll probably recover just fine.

This doesn't sound good -- I'm sure bad Padrons exist, but they are one of the most consistent cigars I've ever had in terms of taste and construction. I agree with Tony, get your cigars the heck out of there, and let them breath in a nice wood humidor for a while... and clean the crap out of the coolidor.

Im Screwed :(

Short Story: The smoke I had tonight had the same damn acidic bite that threw off the flavors of the other cigars. Coolerdor is abandoned until I figure out WTF is going on.

Long Story: Lit up, got the same burning, acid taste on the sides of my tounge and the back of my mouth. After the first inch it started going away, atribute that to the cigar having a cedar wrap inside the cellophane. It almost went away (cigar tasted like I knew it should) then after halfway the taste came back. :angry:

Got out saran wrap and ziplocs. Wrapped every box I have and put those that would fit in ziploc bags. Emptied out my humi of all the 'average' $5 smokes and dumped them into ziplocs. Bagged all my bundle smokes up. Moved all the loose cigars that were in the cooler (all my GOOD smokes) and loosely distributed them in the wood humi.

The boxes should be ok for 2 or so weeks in the saran wrap and bags. The loose cigars have a small humidification device in with em (Thanks Tony Bones! :thumbs: ). Bundles are fine enough.

Question now is what the hell do to with the cooler, the humi beads that were in there, and where the damn problem came from.

There is now the issue of storage. :( Need to find something to do with all the homeless cigars... BESIDES sending them away to a new good home. :sign: Im not going to bomb others until this bad taste thing is fixed. Trust me, you dont want to sample what the cigars picked up.

I'd get some dish soap and a garden hose and go to town on your cooler. I'd also just replace the beads as a precautionary measure.

Perhaps though your problems are coming from lack of ventilation? I've noticed some nasty things when the ammonia can't escape...

Kryo, are you taking any kind of medication or new vitamins? :lookup: Have you added anything new to your diet? Your symtoms sure sound like it.

Im pretty sure whatever caused the problem was amplified by the humi beads. They had some sort of odor and I decided to flush em with distiled water to try and clean em. The water left over was a little cloudy. After they dried out all weekend there is no smell at all.

Dont have any colds, medications, vitamins, diet changes, etc. Sent out last week one of the cigars and he reported the same bitter taste.

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=6997

Probally going to give up on the coolerdor. Only way I figure to have any chance of saving my smokes is to have them sit for weeks or month(s) in a large cabinet humidor with a large volume of air exchange to draw out the crap.