• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Has This Kind of Pass Been Done Before?

Steve*R

I have never started a boxpass, and I think it might be fun. But, I'd like some feedback. I'm thinking of starting a pass with 50 to 75 cigars...Each cigar a different brand. I haven't looked in my coolers yet, but I think I should have that many brands covered. What I thought would be interesting would be to have one stick for one stick replacement, but you couldn't put in a brand that was already in the pass box when it arrives to you. There would be no host bag and passers would be required to make between five and seven puts and takes. I'd want the box to return to me with exactly the same number of cigars as it had when it left, absolutely no extras. No bundles or seconds would be included in the pass, e.g. Alts or Connies.

Super premiums should be smoked while preparing the pass, not included in it. If you picked up a PAM, or TTT Trinidad, smoke it damnit...I don't want it.

Does this sound like there would be any interest? I have no problem including new people, but I would appreciate cautionary notes if someone feels they are necessary.

Thanks, Steve*R

Hi Steve,

I like your ground rules, I think that's a great tone to set from the beginning, no seconds, alts or connies and don't feel obliged to put those habanas!!

I guess my only concern is that 50 to 75 cigars seems like an awfully lot, maybe shoot for 50 max?

Again, great job.

OH and YES, count me IN!!

Bill

You may be hard pressed to get even 50 different brands then what you start with. Are we talking totally different makers or just different types. For instance is CAO a brand or do Brazilia, Criollo etc. count as different brands. I doubt I have more then 20 different brands in my humis. Cool idea though. Good luck ending up with the same number as went out :D

I'd imagine Criollo, Brazilia, Anny Extreme, Cammies, Maddies, etc... are all different.

I like the idea, but start with less sticks, that gives people a chance to have different brands. Plus it dont cost so much to ship.

And like expressed already is your "brand" a maker like CAO, Monty or is it type like Brazilla, White label.?

That should be clear before u start.

Cool idea!

Jim

CAO is unique because the brand is sourced out. They don't make cigars, yet. Many early CAO were maufacturered in Costa Rica, I believe at Tabacalera Tambor. Many of recent note have been made by Perdomo, and of course, the newest lines are Toranos. As you know, the CAO family recently leased a portion of a Torano factory for the production of their cigar lines. The flavored CAOS are totally outsourced to, what I believe, is a division of US Tobacco, but I'm not quite certain.

So the answer is yes. CAO is really three brands.

I would consider the Caribe, Tobacos Jamastran Xclusivo and the Cusano Xclusivo totally different cigars, which they are, though both bear the Xclusivo brand.

If I have time, Sunday...I'll meander through the coolers to see how many brands there are.

I probably should differentiate between original Aristoff Dominican...Connecticut, Cameroon, Maduro Mata Fina and NATSA's Aristoff Connecticut and Black. That would be "5" and I do have them all...

Just as I have both Jose Marti Dominican and Nicaraguan

Bolivar, Bolivar Fuerte, Bolivar Curvee, and Habanos Bolivar

10-4 what LucusBuck said:
Good luck ending up with the same number as went out :D

Tho you do have a point, and if the rules are followed it makes shipping better for everyone. I suspect that one of three things will happen.

1 - Everybody follows rules and what you send is the same as what comes home only some of them are Different brands and overall Quality may rise some (these guys do Bonus, no way around it :thumbs: )

2 - The pass flows exactly like you said, and comes home worth the same but different brands (catch is you will probably recieve some "Bonus Packs" by seperate post. See perins above)

3 - nobody listens to you and that box of 50 comes home a box of 80 (refer to perins in #1)

Then there may be a forth possibility.....all passers may follow the rules you stated and start a new trend in Cigar Passing

If the latter is what happens then Goodonya Steve. Sounds like a perfect idea to me.

When I did my pass it left here with 24 sticks and came home with 74, not only that but one of the more generous of the passers in it sent me a "Bonus Pack" of 8 other top shelfers to chew on while I waited. I must confess that when I started my pass, I knew it would improve during the trip, they always do. (tho the growth was beyond expectations [:love: these guys]) But I also know it cost the brothers on the home stretch a lot more to ship than the ones on the front stretch. So maybe, just maybe this Passing Rule of yours is perfect, tho not too original. Not to take anything away from you, but this is exactly the way Passing was supposed to work all along, before Generosity got in the way :p

50 sounds like a lot. People may want more latitude to add stuff. 50 is just way more than a normal pass. But hey I got shot down for having an innovative idea and I don't want to shoot other people down so if you can get people do do it go for it!

50 stick is quite doable. As long as it doesn't grow. If it does grow, the people at the end get the shaft. But on the same note, it is you pass, and you are free to do as you please, and those who enter it do it knowing full well that the pass entails. :thumbs:

Emo

The fun of the pass for me will be to see how many different brands are returned to me than were in the original box and to give passers the opportunity to select from a wide variety of cigars they might not have seen. I can start the pass with quite a few cigars that aren't available. From the Canary Islands, alone I have Monte Canario, Don Xavier, La Regenta, and La Nubia, that most likely no one has ever seen.

I'll do a little inventory and see what seems realistic.

I really would like to see if passers can stay within the guidelines of an equal number of puts and takes. I'd hope to see a few oddball brands turn up that I haven't seen for a few years. I'd hope guys would feel comfortable with any put and take, so long as they are branded and banded.

Guys should keep in mind that their puts only have to be different from what's in the box when they get it. It could conceivably come back to me with virtually an identical lineup with which it left. If passer#1 removes a Partages, AVO, La Hoyo, La Gloria, ERDM, and Excalibur and replaces them with Henry Clay, Don Tomas, Astral, Bohemian, Salazar, and Vega Talanga, passer #2 is well within the pass to take the Henry Clay, Astral, Bohemian, Salazar, and Vega Talanga and put a Partages, AVO, La Hoyo, La Gloria, ERDM, and Excalibur in.

It would be damn near impossible if you couldn't "put" any brand of cigar that had appeared in the pass. It just can't be in the box when you get it.

Added with edit: Originality is the absolute least of my concerns. I get a kick out of obscure brands and am always on the lookout. Usually they are crap, but occasionally you get a surprise like the Fuente made Premium Dominicana; a wonderful cigar personally blended by Carlos Jr. for Robert Levin (Holt's) to follow up the Ashton brand. Doubley fermented wrapper, unique blend...terrible name.

The rule's and idea's for this pass sound good. His point to the pass (as I'm reading it and understanding it- correct me if I'm wrong) is just to see how many brands are out there lurking in peoples humidor's and cooler'dors at home... COOL!

50 brands? maybe, for some. I might be able to get close to that, but 75+ brands= NO WAY (for me anyway). Start with a more manageable brand count so more will be able to play along. NOT MORE THAN 50.

This sounds like a fun pass- If you get it off the ground- keep a slot open for me (if I'm invited to play :p )... SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD TIME! :thumbs:

Oh, and I'll triple (or whatever its upto now), on the comment about getting back bonus cigars... I started a pass a year+ ago, and started with 30-40 sticks and got back about double that... The "passers" conspired behind my back and changed it to a larger box with a seperate container "FOR TOM" :D I was touched.

-Toaster

So is this thing an active pass, or just a discussion about an idea for a pass?

Please PM me if this should be moved or not.

Dave ;)

i was wondering the samething.

seems like it belongs in the forum page :D

there's no real signing up or antyhin.