• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Having never has port before

beatnik

And I am interested, as its probably one of the few kinds of wine I have yet to try. I live near a BevMo and a Cost Plus World Market so I may be able to find most of what you may suggest. I know there are different kinds but thats about it, lol. Terrible I know but give me a break I am in my 20s so I haven't really had the time to try ya know. So I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for some port of several varieties so I can find what I like before I buy something expensive.So that being known I am sure you know i want to try something good in the lower price range and I would like to try as many varieties as I can. So Any Ideas? Suggestions? Or tips for me to know when trying these? Also if you have a suggestion could you tell me what kind of taste notes it has along with how to drink it. (temp mainly and glass if important) I Am a COMPLETE newbie when it comes to ports and know that I KNOW NOTHING about them. So be kind LOL Thank you for your time guys. I appreciate any info you can give me.

http://www.intowine.com/port.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_wine

http://roadkill.com/~davet/portWineFAQ.html

I can haz Googles? Is teh roxz00rz! :thumbs:

hichic128583683618224115.jpg

Thunderbird is a nice port, and relatively inexpensive. You can also try koolaid mixed with redwine, it will taste about the same and cost a lot less.

I'm sure we've discussed this many times before ..... seriously, there is some good information around here if you just look around.

:cool:

I wasn't really thinking when I posted this I am sorry I forgot to search first Just thought I could get a few recommendations really. Since you all have hinted but been nice about it ill do it to myself.

Try the search function before you post something that has been posted many times before, I should smack you, you Idiot!
OK, now no one else has to do it.

But if port is a very fruity wine maybe I'll just stick to good old Beer and Straight bourbon Whiskey.

Thanks for the links I will check them out but If I do get some I'll probably end up just walking into a BevMo and ask a male associate "What do you carry that Is sweet enough to get a girl really drunk without noticing it?" LoL Never been that much of a wine guy anyway I will probably end up keeping my usual drinks of whiskey and beer and maybe Ill look for some really fruity port to give to some nice young girls. LOL JK who would use alcohol to make girls more willing to my suggestions seriously what kind of guy would do that .................

My experience with Port is that it is a good after dinner drink, preferably after a steak or something heavier. If you want to get the ladies drunk :whistling: , I did see some Bartles & James at the store the other day, didn't know they still sold that stuff.

I wasn't really thinking when I posted this I am sorry I forgot to search first Just thought I could get a few recommendations really. Since you all have hinted but been nice about it ill do it to myself.

Try the search function before you post something that has been posted many times before, I should smack you, you Idiot!
OK, now no one else has to do it.

But if port is a very fruity wine maybe I'll just stick to good old Beer and Straight bourbon Whiskey.

Thanks for the links I will check them out but If I do get some I'll probably end up just walking into a BevMo and ask a male associate "What do you carry that Is sweet enough to get a girl really drunk without noticing it?" LoL Never been that much of a wine guy anyway I will probably end up keeping my usual drinks of whiskey and beer and maybe Ill look for some really fruity port to give to some nice young girls. LOL JK who would use alcohol to make girls more willing to my suggestions seriously what kind of guy would do that .................

No problem, I had just posted an answer to a very similar question the day before and was ...... forget it.

Hmmmm ...... I wouldn't call Port fruity, it is fortified with Brandy, but it is generally quite sweet and can be a very good pairing with the right cigar if you ask me. Can't beat Bourbon, Scotch or Coffee with a cigar though.

If you want to impress the ladies with your bar skills then learn the art of mixed drink ;)

David

Yeah the getting girls drunk thing is a joke most girls my age (mid 20's) tend to drink themselves stupid on their own. LOL. Bar tricks an mixing drinks that look pretty works great too.

I read all the links I got but i still need to search the board I'll look for one and try it, My first choice of a drink usually isn't brandy or wine although there are times when wine is the preferred drink for meals and such. (then for desert I have my bourbon) Although this sounds interesting. So I definitely will try a bottle. Thanks for your reply's I tend to use the today's post to view posts mostly so I tend to miss some posts and definitely I would be wondering why someone asked the exact same question the day after someone else does. So I understand that is why I flogged myself for you LOL

Ok i did some research and i think it was sufficient as I think I will try

Hardy's Wiskers Blake and a Jonesy to compare. These were the most talked about in the forum as a starter port that is cheap. So it sounds like I know what I will buy. If I am not correct or don't have the names right correct me and if I chose the wrong ones tell me too, if you would like. I am not too sure but from the posts those look like a good start. I appreciate the fact that even though this has been asked I still got some reply's, thank you.