• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hawaiian Tobacco?

McPatrickClan

McPatrickClan
My wife was just telling me about a special she watched on MTV about weed and how prevalent the use and sale of it was in Hawaii & in Canada's British Columbia. The special gave the idea that the climate was perfect for growing the best weed in Hawaii and that accounted for much of the industry. I wonder though, isn't Hawaii a great place to grow cigar tobacco as well? It is so lush and full, I would think it would be great.

McP,

I've thought the same thing myself! Hawaii is on the approximately on the same latitude as Cuba and I read that the Vuelta Abajo's soil is red clay... which is the predominant soil on most of the islands. Our soil is a volcanic clay type which is rich in nutrients... it must be because the weeds love it... LOL!

The problem I see with tobacco being grown as a commercial crop is the COST. The cost of land here is very high and by the time quality tobacco is grown & harvested it would already have a rather high price tag attached to it. The state is looking towards diversifying the agricultural industry and maybe one day someone will look at tobacco as a viable cash crop... especially cigar tobacco! But... with our high cost of living, high taxes, tons of government regulation and anit-business friendly enviroment I would doubt that any savvy tobacco farmer would want to grow it here. Just my opinion... I hope I'm wrong and someone will give it a shot as I'd think a great crop of tobacco could be grown here.

Aloha,

Wade