• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

HdM Palmas Extras or Super Partagas?

MNBrian

I'm making a purchase as a gift for a friend and I'm stuck between two possibilities.

Anyone tried any HdM Palmas Extras recently? Are they smoking well young? Same question for the Super Partagas. Just trying to see if anyone has newish boxes of either of these and if they're smoking okay these days before I gift them.

Any help would be appreciated!

I don't know how the fresh batches are smoking, but am curious which style cigar you think your friend might enjoy more. I.e., the stronger, spicier Partagas or the more mellow and refined Hoyo?

Profile-wise he'd definitely prefer the Hoyo. He's not an often-smoker. More of a once-in-a-while on the boat or at the golf course type. But that being the case, the oft referred to spicy PSD4 didn't ever hit me hard when I started smoking cigars. I feel like the marca overall gets a harsh rep for being spicier than is deserved. But I could be wrong.

I'm leaning towards the Hoyo on profile alone, but reading some reviews that stated aging them for 3-5 years before trying one has me concerned. He'll definitely smoke a few right out of the box. Just wanted to see if the same was true for the Super Partagas as well, as that could shift my opinion.

Or perhaps for a once-in-a-blue-moon cigar smoker it'll just taste amazing regardless of age.

Personally I don't think either of those are "golf course" cigars. They would last about 2 holes with all the wind and putting down and picking up. But of the two I prefer the Partagas, the last four boxes of those were really very nice with good flavors and construction.

Personally I don't think either of those are "golf course" cigars. They would last about 2 holes with all the wind and putting down and picking up. But of the two I prefer the Partagas, the last four boxes of those were really very nice with good flavors and construction.

I actually don't think he plays golf. That's just what I think of when I think of a non-enthusiast cigar smoker. Not the best comparison. An actual example is he enjoys ending a day of fishing with a nice cigar on the dock. Something like that.

Oh, I see, you are not using a literal description of the activities while smoking, just that it's occasional and outside. I'm really sorry I took you so literally and answered to the best of my ability given the information provided.

Oh, I see, you are not using a literal description of the activities while smoking, just that it's occasional and outside. I'm really sorry I took you so literally and answered to the best of my ability given the information provided.

HA! I hope that's sarcasm because I gave you garbage info to begin with, so I should be apologizing, not you.

I used to smoke cigarettes. I'd say I probably smoked 1 or 2 max cigars a week until 1991-ish when I quit cigarettes, again, and became a "cigar smoker". I can safely say that quitting the cigarettes really allowed me to taste cigars a lot better. As I smoked cigars, exclusively, I'd say that some of the intensities diminished, but then I tasted more of the other flavors. I.e., I think I was initially tasting the dominant character, of what my palate was sensitive to, of any given cigar vice the whole package. The longer I smoked only cigars, the range of what I enjoyed significantly narrowed. Point is, we all taste different but I think the general consensus on a given marca holds pretty true, as well as some degree of palate development (overused in my opinion). If you think he'd like the Hoyo, I'd get those.

............... Point is, we all taste different but I think the general consensus on a given marca holds pretty true, as well as some degree of palate development (overused in my opinion). If you think he'd like the Hoyo, I'd get those.

How does Brian know what the other guy's taste is? Brian, have you smoked with him enough to be able to discern his preferred flavor profile? That being said, IMHO my choice would be the best of those two cigars, not trying to assume what the other guy might prefer, then Brian's choice is based on some consensus, or rating or something rather than conjecture as to what the other guy might like and Brian has done the best to pick a smoke and can stand behind it with some reason.

How does Brian know what the other guy's taste is? Brian, have you smoked with him enough to be able to discern his preferred flavor profile? That being said, IMHO my choice would be the best of those two cigars, not trying to assume what the other guy might prefer, then Brian's choice is based on some consensus, or rating or something rather than conjecture as to what the other guy might like and Brian has done the best to pick a smoke and can stand behind it with some reason.
Indeed a good point. I'd pick the Partagas myself, too. I enjoy them a hell of a lot more than the Hoyos. I was thinking Brian had a good idea of his preferences when he said he was leaning towards the Hoyo.

Very good points all around!

I wouldn't say I know his taste, but I certainly have made some notes based on what I've seen (smoking with him maybe a dozen times at most). He likes ranges of around 40-46 rg from what I've seen. Generally smokes 5" or longer sticks. Most of what I've seen has been relatively mild dom's and nic's if memory serves. I came up with the decision between the two based on size, price, my perceived flavor profile of both marcas, and my best guess at what he might like. I only leaned towards the Hoyo based on my impression that it tends to be more mild and I don't know that I've ever seen him smoke something medium to medium-full bodied. Just my impression.

But I think you're right. The Partagas might just plain be a better cigar. So even if it's a risk in terms of strength that he's used to, it's probably worth it to take that risk to give him something that I consider tastier overall.

I'm making a purchase as a gift for a friend and I'm stuck between two possibilities.

Anyone tried any HdM Palmas Extras recently? Are they smoking well young? Same question for the Super Partagas. Just trying to see if anyone has newish boxes of either of these and if they're smoking okay these days before I gift them.

Any help would be appreciated!

I am merely trying to answer the question asked. "Just trying to see if anyone has newish boxes of either of these and if they're smoking okay these days" I can only vouch for the Partagas as I haven't recently smoked any of the HdM's. Only two have chimed in so maybe there is another side which might support your opinion on the HdM's. But, I have had 4 boxes of the Partagas in the last few months on which to base my reply.

I used to buy boxes of the HdM Palmas Extras as a quick smoke as they were perfect to take to a restaurant as a after dinner cigar. They haven't been the same in my eyes in the last 6-7 years....I'd bail on those. The Super Partagas have a hint of the stronger flavors they are known for, but like a typical Partagas, they seem to get better with age. That being said, I'd stick to the Super Partagas hands down.