• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

HDTV Help

threei

I finally took the plunge and purchased a Samsung HDTV. What is the best route to go for programming? I currently have Dish Network, and about 5 months left on a contract with them. I can get a HD receiver for another $5 a month. However, I really do want local channels in HD and I remember reading somewhere that you can't get them with a dish. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

-Scott

Getting locals with satellite depends on your location and your ability to receive the OTA signal as determined by your loal networks.

In my experience, digital cable is usually the best bang for the buck when it comes to HDTV programming, if it is available in your area.

If your cable provider offers HD channels then usually all you have to do is subscribe to the digital service and they will procide the HD feeds for a few dollars more per month. Another benefit of cable is that it is the only provider with affordable and functionable HD Digital Video Recorders (DVR). I would reccomend calling your local cable provider and ask what they can do for you.

Hello Scott.

I have subscribed to Direct TV since it came out and they do offer the HDTV channels and I understand that they are adding a lot of new satellites for more HDTV channels this year but when it comes to local channels the Dish Network has them beat. For instance I can get local channels via satellite for my area from Dish but Direct Tv says that they will not offer this service for my area.

Cable, what is cable? I haven't had cable since '97.

I get my local HD "OTA" (Over the Air) It's free with an antenna. :)

I too, get my HD over the air for free. One of the lucky one's I guess.

ESPN HD is nice to have from my Sat service though.

A Directv HD receiver will get both over the air(with a separate antenna) and satellite channels in HD. Directv is also planning on expanding their HD selection this year. Cable not being 100% digital will make your Samsung look like sh*t when you watch anything analog. Stick with satellite, Directv is my choice.

Gregor

My TV uses tubes. It takes about a minute to "warm up"

What's HDTV anyway ??? Is that anything like a color TV?

I currently have comcast digital cable with their New HD/DVR dual tuner.
They currently have a nice line up for HD programming. Also having a DVR that records in HD rocks!!.ANd INHD which is a cable only thing has some decent variety of programming. And Discovery HD theatre is simply amazing.

I keep hearing about Direct TV adding over 150 channels of HD programming with the addition of new satelites..but we will see what CONTENT they are offering.
QUantity isnt always a good thing if theire is no sutable content and variations in programming.

I think that is why VOOM never really took off. Lots of channles with a bunch of the same programming.

if you go to antennaweb.org and punch in your address it will give you a list of options for your area.

Thanks for the help all. Since I still have 5 months on a contract with Dish Network I had them send me a HD receiver, I just have to send my old one back. I am going to put up an antenna to get the locals, just have to figure out which one I need, some of the channels are vhf and some are uhf. antennaweb was very helpful.

I have Direct TV and love it. From what I've seen from my local cable company the local channels are sent anolog even if you have digital cable. But what do I know I'm a ( ? ). LOL

I like these new signs!! :D

Cheeze said:
I have Direct TV and love it. From what I've seen from my local cable company the local channels are sent anolog even if you have digital cable. But what do I know I'm a ( ? ). LOL

I like these new signs!! :D
[snapback]166296[/snapback]​

Sort of true.

With most cable systems channels 1-112 are still on an analog signal. 113 and up is pure digital bandwidth. Comcast has done away with most analog "PREIMUM and PPV" signals because they were too easy to hack. Digital cable and digital box technlogy has changed everything so dramatically. There are no known "hacked" digital boxes that work . And hi-pass filters do not work either..!! :D