• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

HDTV

ParaGod

Semper Fi
Well last hear I bought a HDTV ready tv. So this year I decided to go all out and get a nice reciever.

So I bought the "Hughes HR10-250", which is a high def receiver and a high end TIVO. It records 200 hours of regular tv or 30 hours of high def tv. I have noticed a significant difference in quality with high def. I will never go back. :thumbs: :thumbs:

This unit works well with my DirectTV, and my 51" widescreen Sony. :thumbs: :thumbs:

My 57" Sony is HD ready and I bought a new 26" 16:9 Samsung with a built in HD tuner a couple of weeks back, for the bedroom. Trouble is, our cable provider does not offer HD yet and I'm getting such a good deal on combined internet/cable that I can't justify an extra $60 a month just for a few HD channels. So, that 26" HD ready BBE digital 16:9 with more bells and whistles than my 57" is kinda useless. LOL!

Ahhh yes...

I have had HD programing for about 1.5 years now. I will never ever go back.

Finally comcast is starting to offer more and more HD content... I cant wait fro more shows to go HD..

And watching sports on a 50 plasma in HD and 5.1 is simply amazing.

when i built my new home this summer i had a media room with a 110" screen. my media guy talked me into going hi def. i always thought it wasnt a big deal and more of a rip off than anything.

it didnt take long to turn 180 degrees on that. wow. i have satellite and only have the 4 or 5 stations in hd, but after watching the discovery channel for a couple of hours and then trying to watch a channel thats not in hd is like going back to dial up internet.

and watching monday night football in high def. or my beloved dallas mavericks man.....i hate to sound like a commercial, but it really does feel like your really there. the textures, the colors. they need to hurry up and get the technology to make dvds hi def.

Looks like DVD will be HD next year. Should be fantastic. The funny thing about HD programming is that you start to look for HD first, then see what else is on. I tell all of my customers that. It will change your viewing habits.

Gregor

I have a big screen HD capable TV in the family room. We have Direct TV and use a Tivo box but don't have the HD receiver. I know I don't ever want to give up the features of a tivo style receiver..... god I love those features..... but I did want to upgrade to the HD tivo receiver and just can't convince myself its worth the $800 - $1,000 for the receiver.

If anyone knows where to pick one up on the cheap let me know otherwise I'll have to wait the year or two it takes for the prices to drop 75%. :)

change to cable. Time Warner offers HD DVR boxes at no additional charge

I rarely watch anything that isn't HD now... sad but true... it spoils ya.

Allofus123 said:
I have a big screen HD capable TV in the family room. We have Direct TV and use a Tivo box but don't have the HD receiver. I know I don't ever want to give up the features of a tivo style receiver..... god I love those features..... but I did want to upgrade to the HD tivo receiver and just can't convince myself its worth the $800 - $1,000 for the receiver.

If anyone knows where to pick one up on the cheap let me know otherwise I'll have to wait the year or two it takes for the prices to drop 75%. :)
Try calling Directv, rumor had the HD-DVR boxes would be cheaper if you signed a two year contract. And Moki, cable won't have NFL Sunday Ticket until at least 2010. Another reason not to go to cable, although a free HD-DVR box is nice!

Gregor

I've had hi-def for about 3 years now on the 106" screen in the media room. Looking at putting one upstairs pretty soon but only a 32-36".

Either go 34" widescreen or one of the 42" DLP or LCD sets. I'll never buy another non-widescreen set.

Gregor

Never seen HD... but then I don't watch normal TV either. Does it make a difference to DVDs?

Treamayne said:
Never seen HD... but then I don't watch normal TV either. Does it make a difference to DVDs?
Some, not all, HDTVs will accept a 480P (progressive) signal from a Progressive capable DVD player and some will "line double" a standard DVD player. Both of those will make a DVD look better. If you go the CRT front projector route you can buy video processors that will line quadruple a standard video input. I'm using a Key Digital HD Leeza and a DVD is pretty close to film quality in my theater.

Treamayne said:
It makes a HUGE difference, assuming you have a quality DVD player with progressive scan, etc. I actually went out and bought a new DVD player because the new HD TV was so nice I could see how crappy my old DVD player was. Bought a Pioneer Elite something or other DVD player, and it is gorgeous.

Yesterday I had my Comcast techie here installing the lasted and greatest in cable boxes Comcast's version of TiVo but with 2 seperate tuners? They have combined a cable box with a microsoft driven hard drive.

Only one per customer and they don't even want to advertise that they are offering them yet. It's only costing my an additional 4 bucks a month. Had him install it on the big screen (62" Mitsubishi rear projector HD) upstairs in the media room.

Now the fun part figuring out how to use it.

BenjieV :D

I'm still watching regular cable on a 20 some year old Magnavox console......

I'm not berry snobbish.... :(

My brother-in-law works on the DLP project (consumer) at TI. Based on what he's designing, I'm going to wait on HD for another two years.

He's working on a new system for light sources. Specifically, LEDs instead of a bulb. That will do two things: 1) longer life for the light source, and 2) no more STUPID color wheels! There will be three LEDS (RGB) and will improve the amount of light since it doesn't have to be filtered (color wheel). That will eliminate the "rainbow effect" that a lot of people see, myself included.

Once that becomes available, I'll start looking around for a new TV. Plus, by that time there should be quite a better selection of Hi-Def content.

Besides, I just spent a wad of dough on a new KEF surround sound speaker system. That should take a while to pay off..

gregor22 said:
Either go 34" widescreen or one of the 42" DLP or LCD sets. I'll never buy another non-widescreen set.

Gregor
:thumbs: DLP DLP DLP DLP :thumbs:

Help out my wife's stock options and ensure her employability, won't ya' please?
(wife is an EE for TI working on DLP ultra portables, but NO I don't have high def yet)

:D

Matt

Fast4Dr said:
change to cable. Time Warner offers HD DVR boxes at no additional charge
I called my cable service here (Time Warner) about a month or so ago and they told me you could not have a HD receiver and tivo on the same TV. At least they couldn't provide it. They told me I would have to go buy the unit.

Maybe I should make another call and threaten my satellite company with leaving because the cable company is offering me the complete setup to switch. :sneaky: