• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Heartfelt Beads Issue

Joho

Reaction score
I received my Heartfelt Beads (1 ounce tube) in the mail Saturday and prepared it and replaced the cheap spongey thing in my desktop humidor. It held humidity pretty well for the first two or three days, in the range of 65% - 70%.

However, when I checked the humidity a few days ago I saw it started dropping under 65% so I sprayed some more distilled water on the beads, thinking I just hadn't added enough water before. It held humidty at 65% for another day or so.

I opened up my humidor this morning to check on the humidity and it's dropping yet again. I looked at the tube and I have noticed that almost 100% of the beads seem to be clear--although it's rather difficult to tell with the beads in the tube.

Could the over-saturation of the beads cause my humidity to drop? It doesn't really make sense, as if I added too much water, shouldn't my humidity be high? I properly seasoned the humidor when I initially received it.

Hopefully this post makes complete sense...it's still rather early for me. I still need to work on getting that sleeping pattern fixed. :whistling:

Is it possible that your humidor just doesn't seal real well? Or that you don't have enough beads for the volume?

With the cheap spongy thing did your humidor seem to keep it's humidity up, or is this a brand new set-up?

Is it possible that your humidor just doesn't seal real well? Or that you don't have enough beads for the volume?

With the cheap spongy thing did your humidor seem to keep it's humidity up, or is this a brand new set-up?

With the humidification device that my humidor came with, humidity was almost always higher than necessary (70%+), and the dollar bill trick proved fine, so I don't think the seal would be the problem. The beads are slightly more than enough for the volume of my humidor.

I just blowdried my hair (and some of the beads :laugh: ...looks about 25% white). I'll stick it in again and see if this will somehow strangely resolve the problem.

Edit: Quick question, approximately how long should I expect my humidity to return to normal (65%) in a small 25-count humidor after opening it?

What type of hygrometer are you using and has it been checked for accuracy lately?

The hygrometer is a Western Caliber III. I don't have any other hygrometers to check its accuracy against, but from what I gather, they're pretty accurate.

What type of hygrometer are you using and has it been checked for accuracy lately?

The hygrometer is a Western Caliber III. I don't have any other hygrometers to check its accuracy against, but from what I gather, they're pretty accurate.

Salt test the hygro and see what it reads. It should hold at 75%. Remember it's winter, drier air in the house can effect the humidity in the humi. (it does to mine anyway) I have to refill my 2 desktops about once a week during the winter. Hope that helped a little.

Salt test the hygro and see what it reads. It should hold at 75%. Remember it's winter, drier air in the house can effect the humidity in the humi. (it does to mine anyway) I have to refill my 2 desktops about once a week during the winter. Hope that helped a little.

Well, the "instruction paper" that came with the hygrometer says to never salt test it--it's calibrated from the factory. And IIRC, salt testing a digital hygrometer can cause corrosion on something or another. Also I did a quick search and the Caliber III is supposed to be very accurate.

Get a Boveda Calibration Kit and test the accuracy of the hygrometer, until you know the hygro is accurate it is real hard to know if you have a problem or not.

Add some more beads and it will rebound quicker after opening it. With a small humi, the RH will drop quick when you open it, but it should also return to normal quicker. You really can't use too many beads. The amounts shown on sites are usually the minimum. Try some of the ebay beads too, they work just as well and are about half the price.

Just my 2 cents.

I notice your in Jersey - about the same, dry winter climate as DE.

In my coolerdor, I have a Hydra set at 64% and 65% beads. That way it quickly recovers after opening and the beads ease it up the rest of the way. In the humid summer months I go with just beads.

In my humi I use a jar of 70% Humi-care gel and 65% beads but keep the beads at less saturation to insure the RH isn't pushed up by the 70% gel. In the summer just beads, once again.

But ALWAYS calibrate your hygros including the ones on any active devices like the Hydra. Check them once a year, too. ;)

my 2 cents ...

And change the hygro's batteries every year.

Update.

I purchased a Boveda calibration kit and threw my Western Caliber III into it for just over 24 hours--came out perfect, hovering between 75% and 76% (the kit is for 75.5%).

I've placed the hygrometer back into my humidor and I am still waiting a bit. Right now it reads 63%. How much can I expect the humidity to vary with beads? I'm assuming it won't be right on the dot 65%.

Final update.

The culprit seems to be my humidor. I took out all my sticks and placed them in a large ziploc bag with my tube of beads and hygrometer, and after a few minutes it's holding steady at 65%.

I'm going to try to re-season my humidor; hopefully this will be the solution to my problem.

The cigars should be able to stay in the plastic bag indefinitely, correct?