• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hearth and Home Virginia Spice '09

bluue13

Brand: Hearth and Home
Tobaccos: VA, Perique, and Cigar Leaf
Flavoring/Topping: None
Cut: Ribbon/Course
2 oz. tin
Year: '09

Pipe- Savinelli Soiree

I was able to get my hands on some of this vintage blend through a sale that P&C had a few months ago. I grabbed a few tins that intrigued me and decided that yesterday was the day to give one a try.

I selected the VA spice as I'm quite a fan of VaPer blends especially during the day.  I brewed up some fresh smoked Lapsang Souchong tea to accompany it and headed out to the "man cave" to enjoy my afternoon smoke.

The moisture for me was perfect right out of the tin.  I did let it sit out for a few minutes but thats only cause i was multi-tasking as I was getting things ready.

The tin aroma was a bit like dried fruit or jam and cooked dark fruits.  Definitely what you'd expect from a blend with Perique.  The Virgina leaf added a nice brightness to the aroma that balanced well.  I cant say I detected any sort of "cigar-ness" in the aroma.

After I packed the bowl using the 3 layer method, sprinkling a few crumbs on top for good measure, I took a few cold draws.  I didn't get too much as far as flavors other than the fruitiness of the perique.

I charred the tobacco and then let it sit before tamping down the top layer of ash.  After I got the bowl fired up and took my first few actual draws I was greeted with some really nice mellow sweetness and subtle spice on the finish.  The blend here to me is perfect.  Sometimes perique can get a bit overwhelming as far as the spice goes but the balance here is spot on.

The Virginia leaf as a really pleasant bright slightly citrus-y note to the smoke and while I can't say I specifically know that I'm smoking cigar leaf in there, there is a great creamyness to the smoke as well.

The room note is sweet and mild and not unpleasant in the least.  Smoke remains very cool and voluminous throughout the entire bowl.  I only had to relight twice, however, this was due to me letting it sit for a tad too long, rather than moisture content.

For me, this is a highly recommended smoke for anyone looking for a good intro to VaPer blends.  Very very enjoyable.

photo11.jpg

photo21.jpg