• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Heat...

nicko99

~ Amateur Cigar Smoker ~
This may have been dicussed before but I couldn't find it doing a search.

I normally don't have a problem with heat, but we have been getting some really nice weather here (mid to upper 90's). The problem is that the temp in my humidor is pretty high. Between 78 and 85 right now. :0 I need a few suggestions on how to keep the temp down. When I go to work I've been putting ice blocks in there to help lower it but by the time I get home the temp is back up to about 75+ and the humidity is around 78%. :(

Thanks

Nick

nicko99 said:
I normally don't have a problem with heat, but we have been getting some really nice weather here (mid to upper 90's).
<Inigo Montoya voice>You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.</Inigo Montoya voice> :D

I have the same problem since I have no A/C. When the temp hits the 80's this is what I do (aside from contemplating the most painless forms of suicide). If you look around inside your abode you can find little microclimates that stay cooler than other parts. Usually interior closets are best. If you have a basement, that's the ideal place. Lower is better. Don't put it on a shelf and don't put it upstairs. Put it on the floor in a closet on the lowest floor in your pad. Make sure sun shining through the windows doesn't hit it. I wouldn't put ice blocks in there - the humidity is going to go through the roof.

FatherTiresius said:
...I have the same problem since I have no A/C.
No A/C....FT it is time to cut back on the cigars and get a window unit or something.....don't let Kramer install it though....LOL... :D :sign:

Buy a cooler, size depnds on inventory, put in some sort of humidifier (climaxx), maybe some pieces of cedar (personal preference I guess), and finally your smokes....

OR

Buy a cooler that your current humi will fit into.....I

To get a window unit, I'd have to replace my windows. I've got a swamp cooler (evaporative cooler) but so far this year I haven't needed it. But it's not summer yet either. I'm planning to get central air installed in a couple of weeks. In theory, you're not supposed to need A/C up here at 6000 feet, but if we have another summer like last year I'll die. I moved here from Florida to get away from the heat.

Yes nick, coolers are the answer. I should have read your post better...I assumed you were already using a coolerdor. What I said still applies, though.

I actually have 2 humidors. One is a 150ct. wooden box type and he other is a small fridge I setup. The cooling unit was removed from it and I lined it w/ spanish cedar. I have the problem w/ both humis. You can see the fridge at the following address. http://home.attbi.com/~nicko99/Cigar_Pics.htm

I'm surprised you're having trouble with the refrigerdor. It looks like it's in your house right? Not the garage or anything? Can you put it in the basement? Or in a closet? Other than that, I'm not sure what you can do.

I also understand now why you think 90 degrees is "nice". You live in Portland. :)

I don't have a basement and it is kept in the living room. I moved it from the home office cause it was hotter in there w/ all the comp. equipment. I'll try a closet and see what happens.

Thanks,
Nick

And yes, 90 is a really nice day for the Portland area. :p

Hey guys, I have the same problem. I too would not leave my A/C on all day while I'm not home.

But I'm building a refrigerdor. I purchased a 5 cu ft refrigerator from Home Depot. I am using a temperature controller to maintain the temperature. I am going to use an EXTEND cigar oasis - which you can see here - EXTEND cigar oasis from Aristicrat I have added a fan that will run all the time, hopefully it will prevent condensation.

Hopefully this will keep up the humidity.

I am replacing the inside of the door with Hondorun Mahogany, and the shelves with spanish cedar. I have enough cigar boxes to fill the shelves, and I'm actually going to put my whole humidor (100 ct) inside.

I should be able to finish the installation this weekend, and I'll let you know how its working.

P.S. I also purchased a remote weather (temperature & humidity) monitor - Oregon Scientific on ebay. Oregon Scientific Weather Forcaster So I will know the temperature and humidity without opening the door.

Wish me luck! ;) ;)

Mine was good til it ran out after only six months when it was suposed to last a year. I kept refilling with water but it wasnt the same. I finally got regular refills for it but now I'm using climax beads. I'm pretty happy with them so I doubt I'll go back to the oasis. :(

I have a big chess table I use for all my cigar stuff. Its handmade out of oak by a friend of mine when he was in high school. I wonder what I would have to do to make it a humidor? I should post this as a new topic I supose. What would I have to do to properly seal the front door.

I also have my old fridge over the freezer unit down in the basement. If I had enough smokes I could turn this into a full size frigidoor. Thats the way to go if it comes to that I guess.