• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

HECHO EN CUBA.....Totalmente a mano

alpi57

On sunday sitting in the back yard and smoking a "hand-made" Taboada (RT) double corona, rememebered a conversation I had back in '04 in ISOM.

I was in Club Habana sitting in the club house terrace facing the ocean enjoying a great Espresso and Hoyo de Monterey Epicure Especial, when Mon, the director for their LCDH came in and handed me a cigar and told me to enjoy a custom rolled,"totally handmade" Piramides. I told him aren't all cigars handmade excluding machine made. He winked at me and left. I thought that was a strange exchange. So I set out to find out what he meant by totally handmade.

I went back to La Corona and asked a few people what that meant to them and they all looked at me with baffled looks. Then I asked Taboada and told him the whole story. He knew right away what he meant. In the pre-revolution era when he was trained as a roller you were an aprentice for at least a year and even then it didn't guarantee that you could move on to be a roller. Nowadays you take an 8 weeks course and you are good to go. Back to the story, in those days everything was done by hand, totally. Meaning there was no box press. I am sure you all have seen the process. Take a handfull of ligero, seco and volado and shape it crudely into a box mold and then leave it under the press for about 45 minutes to an hour, then bring it out and place the wrapper ," la capa", for the final stage.

"So you mean you can make the cigars without box press", I asked. So why haven't you told me about this and his response of course, "you didn't ask me". That SOB. Excited about all this it suddenly occured to me that staright forward sizes like double coronas and robustos are easy to make but how about Lanceros, Piramides or Salomones. And he replied that, that is when the true talent of a roller would emerge. Can you imagine, no box press. There are only a handful of rollers left in ISOM with these abilities. They stopped the practice of totally handmade and introduced the box press in early 60's in order to increase production and efficiency.

So I asked him right there and then to make me two sizes. A prominente with a 50 ring gauge and a Lancero with a 38 ring gauge. He made me three of each. All perfect size and went thru the gauge meter barely. By this time a crowd was around us basically challenging him to this and that. It was then that I realize that I was in the presence of a true artist.

A lot of you have questioned or wondered why I speak so highly of the man or swear by what he makes. I think thru experiences like this and many more. I still have two batches of those cigars left and I cherish them like no other. Not because they are better. They are on par with his other cigars. Simply becuase they are a work of art in my mind and TOTALMENTE Hecho a mano.....

Enjoy your day.

Nice to know I have a few boxes from cbid @ $18 each that are Totalmente a mano ;)

Great story... thank you for sharing it. :thumbs:

Great Story!! Would have loved to have been there... :love:

Just wondering, though - how can you get from Illinois to Cuba? They say it's pretty easy, but I'm not sure how to accomplish it... :whistling:

Thanks! That was an interesting story.

Brian

Hey Alpi57-
I was in the same Club Havana last month. I brought Enrique Mons a handful of cuban's that had a tight draw and were over filled. "What was the deal"? I asked with these cigars...I had purchased them from the completely over humidified walk in at The Hotel National a few days prior (never going back there for purchases).
Anyway, I handed them these cigars, one was a Partagas Presidente. He took it, told me that it was good to use as a floatation device, then bonked it on the table, took it apart and left the room.
So he comes back 5 minutes later with a "new" Partagas Presidente. He re-rolled it using a different outer leaf and it smoked great. He also handed me a Laguito that was rolled by one of the 2 men in the front of the club that are his rollers. It was the finest cigar I have ever smoked--at $3 CUC's which is around $3.50. :0
Next time I go, I hit the Club first and stock up......forget the other retailers in Havana.

Just wondering, though - how can you get from Illinois to Cuba? They say it's pretty easy, but I'm not sure how to accomplish it... :whistling:

By water, DUH!

Hey - there's Lake Michigan, allright, but I've not seen the Island of Cuba out on the lake... :p

But I do hear that Bolingbrook, Illinois has a flotilla. I'm told there's no water in the community, other than what flows through the sewers, but they have a "flotilla"...

Hey Alpi57-
I was in the same Club Havana last month. I brought Enrique Mons a handful of cuban's that had a tight draw and were over filled. "What was the deal"? I asked with these cigars...I had purchased them from the completely over humidified walk in at The Hotel National a few days prior (never going back there for purchases).
Anyway, I handed them these cigars, one was a Partagas Presidente. He took it, told me that it was good to use as a floatation device, then bonked it on the table, took it apart and left the room.
So he comes back 5 minutes later with a "new" Partagas Presidente. He re-rolled it using a different outer leaf and it smoked great. He also handed me a Laguito that was rolled by one of the 2 men in the front of the club that are his rollers. It was the finest cigar I have ever smoked--at $3 CUC's which is around $3.50. :0
Next time I go, I hit the Club first and stock up......forget the other retailers in Havana.

Club Habana seems to have the rarest cigars anywhere. I found all of my ramon Allones 8-9-8's there. A wonderful cigar. He also keeps his "real" stuff in the back. Whatever I have asked of him he didn't have any trouble getting me. And finally in the last trip, he took me back there. I guess some trust had to be developed. I was amazed. Many many boxes from '01 and '02. Partagas Lusitanias which are pretty rare, a huge stack of them. A site to see.

By water, DUH!

Hey - there's Lake Michigan, allright, but I've not seen the Island of Cuba out on the lake... :p

But I do hear that Bolingbrook, Illinois has a flotilla. I'm told there's no water in the community, other than what flows through the sewers, but they have a "flotilla"...

or you could just take 55 to 44 south.

By water, DUH!

I was thinking more like 65 south and then do the boat thing. :p

But I also wonder of it's quicker and easier to go to Cuba from Illinois - or from Arizona... Is it better to say you're in Arizona when you're actually in Illinois (maybe you can get in easier or something)??? It would seem to me to be the opposite, considering the Cuban people seemed to really take a liking to our former governor, George Ryan. Maybe because he was convicted of corruption the US government may make it harder for people from Illinois to go to Cuba...

But, I suppose, if one of the governments REALLY liked Arizona you could play like you were from there and it would greatly increase your chances of getting into Cuba. I'm curious about alpi's thoughts on the subject...

And I'd also be interested in meeting alpi face to face to get his take on my question, seeing as how he's just down the road from me. I do have some nice cigars I'm sure he'd like to smoke... ;)

This is a great thread! THANKS! :cool:

I'm curious about alpi's thoughts on the subject...

And I'd also be interested in meeting alpi face to face to get his take on my question, seeing as how he's just down the road from me. I do have some nice cigars I'm sure he'd like to smoke... ;)

All you need to know about Cuba is right here George: Cuba

By water, DUH!
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I was thinking more like 65 south and then do the boat thing. :p

But I also wonder of it's quicker and easier to go to Cuba from Illinois - or from Arizona... Is it better to say you're in Arizona when you're actually in Illinois (maybe you can get in easier or something)??? It would seem to me to be the opposite, considering the Cuban people seemed to really take a liking to our former governor, George Ryan. Maybe because he was convicted of corruption the US government may make it harder for people from Illinois to go to Cuba...

But, I suppose, if one of the governments REALLY liked Arizona you could play like you were from there and it would greatly increase your chances of getting into Cuba. I'm curious about alpi's thoughts on the subject...

[/quote]

Not gonna take that bait. Not this time. Sorry. In the meantime let's stick to good times having cigars.

The best cigar I ever smoked in my life was a cigar that I watched Taboada roll right in front of me. The only tool he used was his special knife. It was about 8" long and was made from a 75 yr old blend recipe. He said, "Totalmente a mano" as he handed it to me. What a treat!! :D

Not gonna take that bait. Not this time. Sorry. In the meantime let's stick to good times having cigars.

What bait, Alpi??? ???

Oh - I get it - You mean the bait about living in Illinois, yet showing an address in Arizona??? Is that the bait you speak of??? ;)

I wanna stick to good times and having good cigars. Get in touch with me so we can do a sit down somewhere in the western or northwestern suburbs... I love enjoying cigars with others - how about it?