• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hello from a Subversive Element

Barak

Hi, guys! I've been lurking here for a few days, mostly reading the pass threads, and I decided to register.

I probably won't participate in many cigar passes, but you folks have too good a thing going here in the forums for me not to try to horn in on it.

Hmm...what to tell you about me? Well, it seems that at almost every turn, circumstances have placed me in anti-government positions.

It might have started in 1998 with the guns. Mostly by accident, I discovered that I was a firearms enthusiast (or, if you prefer, a "gun nut").

As a consequence, I also discovered that the government hates gun nuts: it immediately bent all its considerable power to the task of converting me from a nominal, apathetic Republican to a wild-eyed hair-on-fire activist libertarian--a task which it accomplished with commendable alacrity. Of course, the government hates libertarians as well.

So a couple of years ago, I finally got the opportunity to indulge a life-long fantasy and became a private pilot. Guess what? The government hates general aviation too, especially after 9/11. Hmm.

Well, for a long time I've enjoyed buying Swisher Sweets--the kind with the wooden tips--and keeping them in my car, just sucking air through them unlit and enjoying the tobacco taste (what you folks call the "pre-light aroma"). I'd...ah...not smoke--suck?--a single cigar for several days until it dried out so badly that the taste was gone. I tried actually lighting one a couple of times, but was emphatically unimpressed with both the taste and the smell it left on my clothes and in my car.

But a few months ago, a friend of mine persuaded me to try a "real" cigar--handmade, long filler, Robusto size, Maduro. (I don't know any more than that, because there was no band; but I didn't even know that much at the time.) He showed me how to light it and how to smoke it. I liked it, although it made me dizzy, which I didn't like. So I did a little research about cigars and health issues and decided to experiment on my own. Now I'm a pretty steady stick-per-week cigar smoker (preference medium-bodied full-flavored Robusto Maduros, surprise surprise), with a small desktop humidor and a tiny body of experience. And what do I find out? The government hates cigar smokers, too, especially if they like Cubans.

What's a guy to do? I didn't ask to be a seditionist; it just happened that way. (Oh--I'm a conservative Christian fundamentalist, too, which doesn't serve to endear me to the government, and a happily married man in addition, which subjects me every year to the IRS's marriage penalty.)

I have, of course, found ways to honk people other than the government off as well (I like to hang around with Messianic Jews, for example, and I play the electric bass), but looking around at the group of you (especially Pepe), I find hope that I can arrange to be largely inoffensive in a bunch like this.

Welcome and watch out for liberals like myself. :)

Barak,
I didn't understand half of what you said, but welcome anyway.

Welcome :D From one "wild-eyed hair-on-fire activist libertarian" to another. Well maybe not the activist part out here in "public" :D Got to try to keep a "mature, calm,middel of the road stance" on the boards. Don't want everyone to question what I'm slippin into the sticks. :sign:

Don't be afraid, it's just freeze dried purple koolade. :0

Hell, I would love it if we went back to ridin' horses :lookup: and totin' guns.

Welcome!

Matt R said:
Welcome and watch out for liberals like myself. :)
Shouldn't be a problem. We libertarians think you liberals have it half right already. (The conservatives, of course, have the other half of it right. :) )

Thanks for the welcome...

I didn't understand half of what you said,
It's okay: neither did I. I've just spent the last several years learnin' ta talk purtiful, is all. (Or is it "developing an immunity to iocane?" I can't remember.)
but welcome anyway.
Why, thank you.

Barak said:
I like to hang around with Messianic Jews
My wife & I almost converted from classical Christianity (credit to C.S. Lewis) to Messianic Judaism. There actually places of worship here in Dallas. Where are you located Barak?

Welcome :D From one "wild-eyed hair-on-fire activist libertarian" to another.
Thank you kindly, and a hearty four-nineteen back atcha from me and Claire Wolfe!

Well maybe not the activist part out here in "public" :D Got to try to keep a "mature, calm,middel of the road stance" on the boards. Don't want everyone to question what I'm slippin into the sticks.
Maybe I can help you out, then. Nobody cares what I'm slipping into the sticks, and it's been years since anyone accused me of being calm, mature, or middle-of-the-road.

My wife & I almost converted from classical Christianity (credit to C.S. Lewis) to Messianic Judaism.
I've met a number of folks with the same urge, but I've never understood it. One of them is a fellow I know from prison who is convinced that God accidentally slipped and made him Puerto Rican, but meant to make him Jewish. I've spent a number of months trying to convince him that God knew what he was doing, and that no matter how hard he tries, he'll make a much better Puerto Rican than he will a Jew.

Personally, I've never been tempted in the slightest to be anything but a Mennonite--which is the way I was born. If I became a Jew, I'd spend all my time in meetings and no longer be able to fix my car!

But hey--I'm a libertarian. To each his own, right?

There actually places of worship here in Dallas.
You know Baruch Ha Shem Congregation in Dallas on Beltline Rd? The rabbi there, Marty Waldman--the guy who married his youngest daughter went to my congregation for awhile. Sometimes the two of them come back for a visit.

Where are you located Barak?
Hopefully, in not too many more years, somewhere in north central Idaho with lots of land and a grass airstrip with a big pile of dirt at one end that I can use for a bullet trap. But not yet, as the black guy said at the end of the movie Gladiator: not yet.

[quote name='Smokin'Tone' date='Aug 29 2002, 01:58 PM']Welcome![/quote]
Hey, thanks, Mr. Tone! I was just reading about you over on the thread about Misc's first pass. Or wait--maybe it was Pepe's maduro pass. Mmm...probably both, actually.

Barak said:
You know Baruch Ha Shem Congregation in Dallas on Beltline Rd? The rabbi there, Marty Waldman--the guy who married his youngest daughter
Are you saying that a rabbi married his own daughter? If so, that blows my freaking mind.

McPatrickClan said:
Are you saying that a rabbi married his own daughter? If so, that blows my freaking mind.
I can't tell if you're serious or not. I also can't tell whether when you say "married" you mean "officiated at her wedding" or "took her as his wife."

No. Rabbi Waldman has two daughters, the eldest named Sabra (not Leah ;) ) and the younger named Rachel. Rachel married a guy named Seth Klayman, and Seth is the fellow with whom I have a passing acquaintance. I'm pretty sure the two of them were wed by another Messianic rabbi named Howard Silverman who is (I believe) from somewhere in Ohio.

I have also sat through a number of seminars taught by Marty (and/or his wife) during the annual UMJC conferences. I'd recognize him anywhere, but he probably wouldn't recognize me or my name.

Welcome to CP Barak.

I'm from the government and I'm here to help you! ;) :D

LOL @ Shadow

Welcome to CP Barak, though I do not share your particular views on our Government, I do share some concerns. Luckily this is not a Political Forum (usually ??? ).

Glad you found us, now put down that gun and fire up an ISOM :D

Barak,
Though a newbie myself, let me offer a wholehearted welcome. I must say that your quite a witty fellow. Kind of remind me of a character in a few series of books I've read. The character's name is Silk and the series' names are The Belgariad and The Mallorean.... Wait a minute... Barak, Barak, Barak, heard that somewhere before... :0 Hey! Is your name really Barak or are you just a fan of the above mentioned books? Huh?

Welcome to CP Barak
Thank you! My word, you people are friendly. Of course, maybe I'm just accustomed to forums where they know me a little better.

I'm from the government and I'm here to help you!
Them's fightin' words. :) "Beware strong drink, lest it make you shoot at men from the government--and miss."