• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Help a newbie choose?

AaronFromPA

Hey everyone I need some help. Tomorrow I will be making a trip to Erie (have to get the fiances wedding dress fitted) and will be visiting a cigar shop while I am there. I was trying to develope a list of things I would like to look for while I am there but just am having a brain block. Below I am going to list a very short list of cigars I have tried and how I liked them...when I say short list I think most of you fogs will tear up at the sight of it. I thought maybe you guys could then give me suggestions on what to look for, this would be much better than going in blind.

OK here is the "list"

Carlos Torano 1916 Cameroon - I really like this cigar and its range of tastes
Carlos Torano Casa Torana - This cigar is also one of my favorites
Carlos Torano Carlos VII - it should be obvious at this point I really like toranos
Indian Tabac Cameroon Legend - Was not so fond of this but it was not bad, did not seem very complex to me
Cohiba Red Dots - These are really great and complex, I enjoy them when I can get my hands on them
Bahia B-Lines - Aaron's daily budget smoke these are rather harsh but ya cant beat them for the price.
La Flordita - I would prefer not to smoke these ever again but I bought a whole bundle.
Nicarao Robusto - I really like these guys as well I enjoy the spicy corojo wrapper!

Um yeah that is all folks I have a few other experiences but not many and I do not know the names of what I smoked. I enjoy a complex smoke with earthy overtones, spicyness helps as I am fond of that as well. Obviously I want things outside the Torano line LOL as I pretty well have those under control!

Help would be awesome!

Looks like you like the corojo.. Try Camacho Corojo

And then there's the obvious answers like.. Fuente Sungrown (they have a black ribbon on the foot).. if your shop carries the Fuente Cuban Belicoso, try it!

A couple of things you might like....

CAO Italia and Brazilia.
If you like the spicey wrappers, try the Diablos; I am not a huge fan of these, but I know people who love them. They are cheap enough that you won't feel bad if you hate it and put it out!
The new La Gloria Figurados are good as well; medium bodied.
I have also heard good things about the Juan Lopez line, but have yet to try them.

As with anything, don't take too much stock in what we say...buy a bunch and smoke 'em! But, we do expect reviews!!!

Patrick

I agree you can't go wrong with the La Gloria Line or any Fuente, you might like the new Cuesta Rey Sun Grown very affordable also from the Fuentes.

You may also want to try the Rocky Patel sungrown line - very nice, med bodied smoke. Along those same lines are the Cuesta Rey Centro Fina Sungrowns - a VERY nice smoke (I especially like the Belicoso)

I'm also partial to the Gurkha line (Masters Select and Sympnohy series) - the new Ancient Warrior is nice (very much like the CAO Italia, IMO)

CAO is a great line - no matter what you choose there aren't many you won't like. The Gold labels are some of the more mild in that line, but a very nice smoke. I'm very partial to the Criollo's - a bit more spicy than the golds.

Punch makes great medium bodied smokes in the "reasonable" price range.

For the money (very reasonably priced), the Padron's and Sancho Panza are also very nice smokes.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. To make a long story short the guy did not have too much in the way of selection . WHile I had gone with a short list in my hand I did not end up with anything on it. I came out with only 3 cigars and a tin, the prices where a bit much as well. I picked up:

Ashton Cab. #7
Zino Plat.
Monti Robusto
Tin of Torano SR Natural

I got the tin simply to try it out I am hoping they are good as I often crave a short smoke.

Back