• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

HELP!  I NEED TO SAVE MY GARS!!!!

TAX MAN

Howdy.......first time aboard this forum but i'm not new to cigars. i'm 25 and have been smoking for a few years now. i am by no means an aficionado (spelling)...yet anyway!

so, i'm looking for ways to salvage my cigars. my humi went down during my move. i couldn't find the thing and i lost my stash of over 100 habana's. at any rate..... i just got my humi in operating order last night. it's at about 65F/60%hum and climbing. i'm hoping for perfect atmosphere in a few days.

so, i've got two premo sticks, and one i can afford to loose, that i have kept in the fridge for about six months now. I removed them yesterday and the wrapers seem to be oily?!?!?! at any rate. last i knew it was practice to bring these suckers to room temerature, give them a few steam baths (like leaving them in the bathroom while you shower etc...), and let them sit in the humi for a while. i've tried this before and the insides pretty much blew up and the gars were done.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS OR IS THIS IT?

THANKS IN ADVANCE TO THOSE WHO REPLY

:)

Bring back the smokes SLOWLY don't rush at all.
I would suggest that you try and bring back the humidification in stages. 65% may be too much all at once.
Try 60% for a few weeks then move it up slowly. This should salvage the smokes without having them crack - up, and come apart.
I rushed a box I saved and had several end up in the trash.

I have a second humi :D so i'll get'er running at about 60% and bring her up slow to see what happens. thanks for the advise ;)

Since they have been refridgerated I would leave them out of the humidifier for a few days and let them get back to room temperature in a ziplock bag. Then go ahead and put them in the humidor at sixty and start to bring the humidity up.

There are certain cigars (hint, hint) that went I get them I always double bag them in ziplocks and stick them in the freezer for three days, then in the refridgerator for three days and them let them sit out at room temperature for three days and then put them in the humidor. Have not had any problem with splitting wrappers. :thumbs:

What shadow and hbooker said. Slow is the key here. You bring them back too quick and you get..well you know. Split wrappers and all.

Also I don't know about that shower deal either!!!! That could destroy them, IMHO!!!!

Ryan :D

You do need to bring them back slowly. If they have been in the fridge you will need to leave them out at room temp. for a couple of days then return them to the humi but place as far away from the humidification device as you can. The level you humidor is at right now 60% is almost ideal for Havanas. I try to keep mine around 65%. Just do it slowly. If you are smoking them and not aging them they should be ready to smoke in a week or so.